Raw birch Corns, cabinet finish ideas ?

krzys

I used Watco Danish Oil on a pair of raw birch La Scalas. Nice gold finish when done. Work is really easy; saturate the wood with the oil, wait for it to soak in as much as possible (about an hour) then wipe off excess. Repeat a couple of times over the next few days and you're done. No varnish runs or puddleing to worry about. This is not a high gloss finish though.

BS

My wife isn't to hip regarding the stained speaker idea. She likes the Black. She wants any addition speakers to match the La Scalas and the Glass Black McIntoch. That why I may consider "piano black".

Sorry this picture is so big

jc

010100481.jpg

post-16499-13819262006812_thumb.jpg

Don't worry about painting them. Mine were originally painted black and I decided to make them a stained tone, Minwax Early American. The finish was okay, but they still would look better in black (Birch). Afterall, it is only Birch which does not have great grain to begin with. It isn't oak or walnut, so why worry about covering up the grain. Birch can only look so good, even if it is done well.

Birch resonds well to grain conditioners, which minimize the blotchy effect you can end up with when using stain on birch. The darker the stain, the better the conditioner works. I would bet that more raw birch heritage products have been stained walnut than anything else. I did see a pair of LSBR that had been stained in Cherry awhile back, really looked nice, which I would not have expected. They were well done, probably by a pro.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 9:13:04 PM jwcullison wrote:

BS

My wife isn't to hip regarding the stained speaker idea. She likes the Black. She wants any addition speakers to match the La Scalas and the Glass Black McIntoch. That why I may consider "piano black".

Sorry this picture is so big

jc

010100481.jpg

----------------

Drats