DVD audio

tommyboy

Sorry we crossed postings. That is cool its auto switches.

So from your previous post if I understand with the new player (pioneer elite DV-47ai) that processes SACDs and supports ILINK, even though your Pioneer does support decoding SACDs you could use ILINK to send the discreate digital signals to it?

I am asking cause I am in the same boat to some in the my reciever does not process SACDs.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 5:04:28 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Sorry we crossed postings. That is cool its auto switches.

So from your previous post if I understand with the new player (pioneer elite DV-47ai) that processes SACDs and supports ILINK, even though your Pioneer does support decoding SACDs you could use ILINK to send the discreate digital signals to it?

I am asking cause I am in the same boat to some in the my reciever does not process SACDs.

----------------

yes... in essence when you are using the i-link connection (player and receiver), the player becomes just a transport and the receiver does all the decoding for all of the formats (SACD, DVD-audio, DVD, and CD)...

right now your receiver probably decodes your dolby digital and DTS signals from your DVD's.... with i-link, you can also do the same thing with SACD and DVD-audio...

one added advantage is that the i-link connection is two way.. so the receiver can talk to the player and adjust the clock rate to totally eliminate jitter on ALL formats!!!

1.gif

I think that DVD Audio, and SACDs are great formats and I would love to see them get bigger, but I'm afraid they never will.

One of the biggest drawbacks for Hi Rez multi sound is you need to sit in the sweet spot and really listen to the music to get the most out of it.

Personally I have no problem sitting in a darkened room with my eyes closed for hours listening to good music. But there are a whole lot of people, my wife included that use music as mostly in the background and can't seem to just sit back and enjoy how good it really sounds.

We have 3 rooms of Klipsch speakers and she's content with using a little clock radio to listen to music. Go figure.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/28/2005 4:58:18 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 2/28/2005 4:53:07 PM Gramas701 wrote:

it has to be done through th analog inputs, because your reciever cannot process sacd.... and the signal that goes through your digital output is generally a "raw" signal that will be decoded through the recievers processor, therefore the multichannel output or the analog 2 ch output will allow for an already processed signal to pass. generally it is run through the multi-channel input or in the case of 2 channel "direct mode" or digital bypass...

----------------

the SACD signal - even in 2 channel - will NOT pass over the standard coax or toslink digital connection....

unless you have an ilink connection, you MUST use analog to listen to SACD

----------------

thats what i said! first line

----------------

On 2/28/2005 6:03:16 PM RickB wrote:

I think that DVD Audio, and SACDs are great formats and I would love to see them get bigger, but I'm afraid they never will.

One of the biggest drawbacks for Hi Rez multi sound is you need to sit in the sweet spot and really listen to the music to get the most out of it.....

----------------

no more than listening to a good stereo recording..... i often fill my 5 disc changer full of multichannel SACD's and set it on random play when i'm working on a project in another part of the house (ar really cranked while i'm in the garage)

9.gif

Several years ago when I started watching DVD concerts, I totally stopped listening to my CD's. Whenever I heard the term "DVD Audio" I thought that WAS what I was listening to. When I learned that actually you had to buy 6 analog cables (and special disks)I thought it was a gimmick by my Audio sales person to part with those expensive cables--It may have been, but since hooking those badboys up I haven't turned back and still don't play Redbook CD's. I have several DVD Audio and SACD titles.

I guess I am lucky that I haven't heard any bad surround mixes as some on this forum have, but I agree that pickens are slim in retail stores. It doesn't help that BestBuy only sells one "Universal player," and they seem to have several "open box" items in every store. It makes me wonder if they are crap or folks don't know what they are buying and return them. Every chance I get I help educate the sales folks on how incredible these formats are and encourage them to tell their managers to get more titles. My power of persuasion must be fading:-(

It also didn't help that when I went to the "high dollar" store and asked about upper end players they wanted to put me on a waiting list.

There are several threads that have good titles--Three that I haven't seen mentioned but I like are: Electric Warrior by T-Rex, The Best of R.E.M., and Faith Hill does an excellent rendition of "Cry," (She definitely brings a tear to my eye, but I digress) on The DVD-A with the same name.