Ugly SET

Deang

----------------

On 3/1/2005 9:55:03 AM Painful Reality wrote:

Do you know what was the base tube they use to come uu with the 8045?

I've heard this version quite often (that the 8045 is a pentode wired as a triode). It would make sense economically for Luxman to come up with a "soft scam" like this. But on the other hand, when I look at the plate curves provided for the 8045, I don't recognize anything that remotely looks like a pentode connected in triode. Those plate curves are really those of a "real" triode.

It has always intrigued me.

----------------

I don't know what was the base for it but it might be a version of one of these TV sweep tubes that he likes so much (maybe 6LF6 or EL519). I'M quoting a paragraph from an interview with Tim DeParavicini who designed the amp "

The first one I did was the MB3045, which was a 70W mono amp using so-called triode valves that I got NEC to make. They were really fake triodes, being pentode beam tubes internally wired as triodes. Then there was a cheaper MB3600, which was a 30W per channel stereo design of textbook type, because they didn't want anything different. "

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

----------------

On 3/1/2005 11:18:56 AM Guy Landau wrote:

The first one I did was the MB3045, which was a 70W mono amp using so-called triode valves that I got NEC to make. They were really fake triodes, being pentode beam tubes internally wired as triodes. Then there was a cheaper MB3600, which was a 30W per channel stereo design of textbook type, because they didn't want anything different. "

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O />

----------------

Hard to contradict DePavarinci on that one...

So if it's the case and one knows what was the base tube, there is not much reason to pay a premium for 8045.

I'm still puzzled by those plate curves though. We're talking about DHT linearity here...

http://www.triodeel.com/images/8045.gif

"By the way the amp is playing in my shop now! It sounds pretty darn good for weak a$$ SET LOL !! Maybe I'm selling it to cheap what else you throwing in the deal?"

I'll throw in the $30 you still owe on the BEZ preamp deal, your networks that I rebuilt ($95), the beautiful blue Spraques I sent (priceless), and the two Erse Super Q inductors ($25).

Man, you're a bigger a$$hole than I am.9.gif

----------------

On 3/1/2005 12:13:48 PM DeanG wrote:

"By the way the amp is playing in my shop now! It sounds pretty darn good for weak a$$ SET LOL !! Maybe I'm selling it to cheap what else you throwing in the deal?"

I'll throw in the $30 you still owe on the BEZ preamp deal, your networks that I rebuilt ($95), the beautiful blue Spraques I sent (priceless), and the two Erse Super Q inductors ($25).

Man, you're a bigger a$$hole than I am.
9.gif"
----------------

Hey now all those mentioned parts were toward getting you shocked to sh!t fixing that freaking fire trap Quad amp with free consulation LMAO !!!!!!!! I seem to remember giving you incredible deals on 2 Scotts in the past that you sold for profit on me also 6.gif LMAO !!!!

$150 dollars in metal work for VRD's you have

Deal of the century on a pair of VRD's you have never taken me up on

Should I go on ?

What happen to the scratch scratch relationship we had 2.gif

Craig

"Hey now all those mentioned parts were toward getting you shocked to sh!t fixing that freaking fire trap Quad amp with free consulation LMAO !!!!!!!!"

Yeah, I landed on my a$$ so hard I have hemorroids now. The doctor bill was outrageous for that one. I now have this freaking twitch I can't get rid of either.1.gif

"I seem to remember giving you incredible deals on 2 Scotts in the past that you sold for profit on me also 6.gif LMAO !!!!

Hell yeah I sold them for profit. I had to retube the damn things with NOS after you ripped all the good tubes out before sending them to me -- or was that Ryan? I always was getting you two mixed up.9.gif

$150 dollars in metal work for VRD's you have.

You paid $150 for that scrap metal!! OMG you've got to be kidding. Man, I better get that crap out of the snow.

Deal of the century on a pair of VRD's you have never taken me up on.

I know, I should have moved on that one. The price goes up $100 everytime we talk on the phone.

What happen to the scratch scratch relationship we had 2.gif

You better keep your pantyhose on there chief.

You're a good man Craig. Seriously though, I did have quite a bit in tubes in those Scotts when I unloaded them, and I sure as hell didn't realize I had $150 worth of metal in my garage - damn, I feel bad about that. Now, on those VRD's. At the time you were up to the ceiling in amps over there, and was trying to build up two sets of VRD's. I figured I had time to try another amp or two. I actually didn't expect to fall in love with the VAC, it just kind of happened. The good news is that what I really need now is three VRDs -- because I really want to do that three channel thing. So, better start pimping my networks!! LOL!

----------------

On 3/1/2005 1:24:16 PM DeanG wrote:

"Deal of the century on a pair of VRD's you have never taken me up on.

I know, I should have moved on that one. The price goes up $100 everytime we talk on the phone.

----------------

Dean,

I'd stay away from the phone for a while and keep these costs low
9.gif

----------------

On 3/1/2005 1:55:34 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 3/1/2005 1:24:16 PM DeanG wrote:

"Deal of the century on a pair of VRD's you have never taken me up on.

----------------

Dean,

I'd stay away from the phone for a while and keep these costs low
9.gif

----------------

If he doesn't tlak to me on the phone they go up more LOL !!! I'm like Tom Brennen I have more guts when I'm hiding behind a keyboard LMAO !!!!!!!