Old Klipsch Questions

MacKevin

I have some questions that I have been scratching my head with for the last while. I was wondering if anyone could answer.

1. If an some woofers such as an Altec 515b or an expensive JBL..... sell routinely for over $300US, then why do brand new klipsch K33's sell for $129US. What am I gaining or loosing?

2. Why if I collected all the parts new of a LaScala for instance, would it cost me less than half the amount to build a set of laScalas then to buy them.

I probably have more questions but I can't remember them right now. Please don't get me wrong, I looooove my LaScala's and I benefit from the replacement parts being inexpensive, its just the conspicuous consumer in me that feels that paying more gets more. I can't imagine that any other speaker choice in the LaScala would improve the sound over the choice Klipsch made. So then I wounder why pay more at any time for any speaker?

Kevin

"2. Why if I collected all the parts new of a LaScala for instance, would it cost me less than half the amount to build a set of laScalas then to buy them."

You obviously have not priced what a new K-55X, K-77X and the AL-4 crossover network would cost you. While the K-33E is $129 and the K-401K is $50 the rest of the stuff would cost you a bundle on the order of about $1600-$1900. The woofers don't have to work as hard as some of the JBL and Altec units so they do not need to be stellar and come with a stellar price tag. Thank Goodness!

I could spray paint a couple of new K-33E's cones for you and tell you it was a special dampening compound that increases rigidity and improves woofer compliance and improves the overall performance and charge your $200 apiece for them if it would make you feel better.

I agree completely. The 150 watt max limit on the K33E is a limiting factor in price, although when I took one out of the box, I thought that $130 was a little high. But once I had it inside of a horn and listened to it, I thought it was more reasonable. Go figure!

So anyway, buying used is always the way to go. A new set of components for a pair of DIY would be above $1700 bucks last time I checked. DIY enclosures is the least of the expense. Careful shopping for used components and buying a piece ot two at a time could also save some money. But when one's got a pair of empty cabinets sitting there, it becomes quite hard to wait...

DM2.gif

It's probably going to cost me in the neighborhood of $500 for a single vertical Cornwall out of vintage components. And that doesn't count anything for my carpentry and finishing time. Remember that xover networks don't come cheap either, so if you want a vintage one, it'll cost you, then cost you again to have it repaired/upgraded.

It's a labor of love basically. It's nice that Klipsch speakers hold together and keep their value (got a pair of 1963 Cornwalls that work perfectly), but it is fairly costly to rebuild or build from scratch. Good thing we tend to be a handy lot!

Michael

I just spent $138 for the parts to build a pair of 2-way crossovers for my Peav-tec system (Peavey FH1 and Altec 511B/902-8B). Now I have to build them. Since I don't pay myself for assembly and testing and I spent an hour laying the first one out, .....

In general, Klipsh doesn't use really expensive, high power components. The efficiency of the bass horn doesn't require it. However, the K-43 bass drivers used in the pro La Scala and MCM-1900 system go for $250+ these days; not far from the JBL price.

I have a pair of Pro LaScalas too. I was really wondering about building some MCM1900 or equivalents. Have you ever come across the plans for them. Or since they seem to be enormous speakers can you suggest a Bass Cabinet that would complement my LaScalas. I would like to remain fully klipsch if I can.

Kevin

There are E-V plans available for an Eliminator bass horn that goes down to 35 Hz. It is designed like the MCM-1900 low bass horns. It's about that big, too. Watch eBay. You might look at the KPT-684, or RSW-15.