Music and your prostate

Tom Adams

Heres some useless knowledge for you based on both scientific evidence and personal experience.

As some of you know, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year and went through radiation treatment. Not too long after the radioactive seeds were implanted in my prostate, I started noticing what I believed to be a change in the timbre of my voice. I dismissed it thinking that it was just my imagination. However, I also started noticing that there are certain notes that I couldnt sing anymore. High notes that I use to be able to hit easily are either impossible or a real strain now and there seems to be holes in my vocal range. Additionally, staying on key is a real challenge from time-to-time.

Now, I dont believe Im all that when it comes to singing, but the few times Ive slipped up and actually sang in front of friends/family, Ive always gotten something to the effect of, Oh my word. Is that really your voice? Have you sung professionally? Which results in me getting embarrassed and wanting less to sing in front of someone. I know.Im weird. What can I say? Anyhow..

This change in my singing voice has really started bugging me so I mention it to the wife who confirms shes heard the change. We do some research and guess what? When a males testacles are subjected to the stray radiation of the implanted seeds in the prostate, they quit producing testosterone (cancer BTW, loves testosterone). And guess what affect testosterone has on the male vocal cords? Thats right the vocal cords change.

So what to do about it? Basically, from what I read and what Im told by the Doc, Im to use it or lose it. Which is the same thing I was told in order to prevent my libido from drying up. I guess this means that now I have to sing every time my wife & I have sex! (sorry bad joke).

Anyhow, thought some of you might find this interesting.

Tom

"Basically, from what I read and what Im told by the Doc, Im to use it or lose it. Which is the same thing I was told in order to prevent my libido from drying up. I guess this means that now I have to sing every time my wife & I have sex! (sorry bad joke)."

So, it has the potential effect of changing your timbre and your timber?

In the spirit of forum brotherhood, may I suggest we start a testosterone donation program for Tom?

(beginning of puberty cracking voice on)

Gee thanks Mr. fini, but I'm not sure I want any donated testosterone. I don't know where your hand has been.

(beginning of puberty cracking voice off)

BTW, in all seriousness, I could take synthetic testosterone but it would be like 36-3-5 fertilizer to St. Augustine grass! Can you say grow like hell?

Tom

Tom:

I do understand some. Benign, elarged. It's nice that there is one med that helps that and High B.P. also.

But, all I can think of noting You or Fini::

This is Bob...commercial. A disservice in that some may delay atrip to the Doc becausing they're living large...

Give me a break.

For all of the over 40 or over 50 males, get a PSA blood test along with your Doctor's gentle examination. That is only checking one side. That and a Fasting Cholesterol Test with triglycerides.

dodger