Denon or Yamaha

Smokem

Thanks for saying it for me DrWho.

PLEASE NOTE TO ALL- general rule for product reviews and comparisons, please don't talk about it if you haven't heard it- I think we get rumors started without sound reasoning and experience. Lets face it, most of us aren't Best Buy's bottom-of-the-line shoppers, so please refrain from rating equipment from one poorly thought out listening experience. If you've OWNED it or have a great deal of listening experience with the particular gear in question, you are qualified to critique it.

But let's stop BRAND BASHING. It makes no sense at all. If Rotel or NAD made a $150 receiver, it would probably have some significant shortcomings as well, point made?

I've been guilty of calling Heresy a 'poor man's PA cabinet'. Well, I just bought a pair so I'll find out for sure, okay.

'nuf said?

Michael

I have several Denon components from the late 80's. Let me explain that the reason I went to Yamaha for receivers back then (1st HT) was the horrible 'clunking' relay noise the Denon's had when you switched modes. At the time, the Yamaha had a direct push button for each source, with no noise. Denon was a single source button you had to punch numerous times 'clunk' 'clunk'clunk'clunk' swithching from CD to say Phone. Couldn't stand it. Sure that's taken care of now, but...

I'm a Mac and Honda Accord junkie and like my toys to be nice and ergonomic. Besides the sound differences that some may have noted (I can't tell any diff in showroom), I voted Yamaha hands down for engineering, ease of remote use, DSP programs, just lots of little niceties just like my car and computer have. Denon's was, let's say, less user friendly, IMO. That's why I'm a Yamaha man.

Not to flame, just defend my position.

Michael

I've had both. Both companies make great products as does Pioneer Elite. I picked Yamaha because that's the sound I preferred. I'll probably be switching to Pioneer Elite for an ilink tup this summer. I guess the point I'm trieing to make is that one is not any better than the other. They just have a different sound on music playback. HK and Onkyo also make fine products.

To add to cornwalled's comment. I kept the Yamamha because I also thought it had a smoother sound.

I kind of love to hate this forum. I like what I have, it is Just plain ole Pioneer. I go listen occasionally at the stereo shop but since it is not playing right next to mine I do not know if I can really hear a difference, at least one that would make me spend money. I did fly helicopters for 6 years so maybe my hearing is not what it should be.

Now I have both Cornwalls and Lascalas playing on Pioneer AVRs and I like trying to really hear the difference in the speakers.

Yamaha here , but not for sake of sound preference , but easy function and operation.

I did not compare both in one store , but went to several stores for a demo. I could not notice a difference in the $700-$1000 range.

Oh and I drive a Toyota and prefer the PC.3.gif

Both make a wide range - the low end of both are pretty disappointing and the high end are very nice. I've had both and would give the slight edge to Yami, but only for ease of use.

"Evil laughter fills the air" funny - I kind of heard it.

----------------

On 3/8/2005 11:34:27 AM Smokem wrote:

I am comparing these 2 receivers.

Denon- AVR-2105/630 watts/ 7.1/ $649

Yamaha-RX-V650/ 665 watts/ 7.1/ $549

----------------

I would save the $100.....myself...

Note: I own a Yammy RX-V630....