SPEAKER CABLE <signal on +> <ground on ->

zman

----------------

On 3/6/2005 12:51:26 PM Dylanl wrote:

I hate to say I think the other components contribute much more to sound than any wire combination but I do.

----------------

That's true, of course. But the way I see it, wire is cheap and even an electronic knucklehead can have some fun "wire rolling." Most wire seems pretty good but bad wire can probably degrade sound substantially even using good components. I started my playing around with wire when one of my amps ran hotter than the other and things just sort of snowballed from there. You should see my livingroom right now - I probably could just use the tone controls on my preamp for the differences I'm hearing with the different wires.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 3/6/2005 3:22:26 PM D0N wrote:

I think there are actually little tiny performers inside the cables making all the music.

----------------

agreed

----------------

On 3/6/2005 3:22:26 PM D0N wrote:

I think there are actually little tiny performers inside the cables making all the music.

----------------

I think I may be finally getting this. So the guys with really fat cable probably listen to alot of opera.

I just went from 12 guage Monster to Cardas Se-15, a coax design which Cardas says is specifically designed for SET amps and HE speakers. The effective AWG is 15.5. I use a pair of Martin Logan subs in stereo and had to turn them down two notches after the change. The bass also seems a little tighter and overall clarity might be a bit better, but then again, my 51-year-old ears went through the late 60's and 70's. I also note that IC and tube changes are more noticeable, but I am a believer that every piece from source to speaker grill matters. And, BTW, the kit from DIY Cable, under $200 for 16 footers, is fun to build and aesthetically very pleasing. Take it for what it's worth, but there may be some new designs out there which disprove the "bigger is better" arguments. John