how many of us are in Bands??

Scp53

i was just curious about this. in HS, my favorite band is definetly the Jazz Band and then the Marching Band next(although its all done15.gif). in the last 4 days i ve had 3 performances for Jazz and it was awsome. I think im definetly going to be in band in college and the rest of my life. and fyi, i play alto sax(and used to play violin). so go ahead and tell us if you play in a band or where you used to play.

scp532.gif

Was in pep band and concert band starting in Jr. high through high school. Started with trumpet to baratone to tuba. Loved tuba. Was a hoot in marching band. Sway to the right, sway to the left, dip down towards the ground, sway to the right, sway to the left dip down towards the ground... On and on .... Was so much fun.

Indeed... m00n was a band geek.

oh, and here i was thinking rock bands! I grew up playing piano and viola and participating in orchestras and all that. I was never a fan of the band folk, but that's because orchestra is so much better 2.gif

As far as rock bands go, I am the sound guy for half a dozen or so bands, and then I do random gigs all over the place for lots of other people. The only semi-popular band I've worked with is Finding Philip. They actually made it on the radio last summer somewhere in southern illinois (I mixed that album too) 10.gif

I was in the High School Marching Band, I played the Baritone Sax.

In my late 20s and early 30s I played professionally in a Detroit area bar circuit band called Roze (pronounced "Rose"). I played Alto and Tenor Sax and ran the sound board. It was an interesting time, but I'm glad those days are long gone. It was tough to make ends meet. Get all that you can from your college education. You're going to need it! Best of luck.

----------------

On 3/9/2005 9:37:12 PM Scp53 wrote:

Moon, are you still in a band?

----------------

Oh no... I graduated HS in 85 and I've not picked up an instrament since. Well...I played bass guitar for a few years but that's been at least 10 years since then even.

Bass and vocals in HS/college garage band. Just played parties etc. Never made it to clubs or anything like that. Kiss, Zep, Purple- I LOVE TO SCREAM. Used to do the whole Kiss makeup thing complete with platform shoes and dripping blood. Set an apartment sprinkler system off once with flash pots that were a little 'hot'!Never mind what IndyKlipschFan sez about my voice!

Also played with early synthesizers Eno/Tangerine Dream style. Never read music though- my Mom always said I'd be sorry for giving up piano lessons. Sorry Mom, you were right!

Got all the equipment, keep saying I'll get into it again one day.

Michael

Played Trombone and Drums in High school Marching/concert band, Bass in Jazz band, Trombone for one semester in college...

Have played bass in various rock bands for over 10 years. Curent band is called 10 Years in May. Haven't played in a while...no where to practice untill the guitar guy finishes his Studio.

Tried to upload an MP3 of one of our demo tracks...too big though.

marched in parade in high school, playing the Kazoo (school didn't have a marching band)

studied string and electric bass one year, started basement band, "Property of Mansfield County" (we all liked Chicago Transit Authority), nothing happened at rehearsals though...

16.gif

No HS band but did have a garage band that played some parties. Sold my 68 Strat to pay for a semester of school...damn I miss that guitar. The rest of the boys went on to keep at it. All being 40 something professionals they play for the fun of it, not to pay the bills in the Detroit area. Any Mi-people ever see them? Great name on the marquee of a bar - Tonight for one night only "Free Beer"

http://freebeernet.com/

I built my 5 string viola and play oldtime fiddle on it. My wife plays banjo and my 10 year old son has picked up fiddle and tenor sax. I also pick at guitar and mandolin from time to time. We've all played in public but not often. The kid won first place in the Vermont fiddle competition up in Vergens this year.

Rd, got news for ya, wind ensemble is usually for the woodwinds, a subgroup of the orchestral instruments, such as bassoon, oboe, clarinet, flute. The Trombone is neither made of wood, a woodwind nor an orchestral instrument. Is your band leader quite right?

You guys need a Jazz Ensemble! Trombone, Sax, Trumpet, etc.

Michael

"Im glad to see that many are responding to this thread. there must be many more musicians that havent replied yet? "

yeah, but they were out late and are still, um, recuperating....

Michael- don't miss the late nights and smelly clothes- whew!

(I was a sound and lighting engineer for 10 years also- in some nasty rat-hole bars, some of the best times of my life- wish I remembered them!)

Yah - band geek for sure - played the clarinet from the time I was 9 years old, all the way through junior and high school, as well as college. Being in band was really a great social "event", getting to go to all the football games for free, being in parades, competitions, etc.

Laid it down for 15 years, picked it back up around 1996 and have been playing in my church orchestra (with my wife also) ever since - man, I wish I had appreciated the instrument as much as I do now. Fortunately, those private lessons and all that time in band seemed to have paid off!!

Chris

Still play the trumpet. Have an 72 yamaha silver. My teacher played with Ringling Bros. Play every Xmas and Easter at local Houston churches. Not that I attend. They pay very well for brass ensemble.

Have played with the Houston Symphony back in 76. We did the show "Oklahoma". It was a local production with the Conroe Chorale. 2 nights of pure music.

Our director had a pair of AR-3a's hooked up to a McIntosh amp and Dynaco pre at his home. That's where the insanity started.