Bluenote Bellagio

3dzapper

----------------

On 3/10/2005 10:33:38 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Since the table is coming with a Rega drilled adaptor,for an arm I was thinking of an Incognito wired RB-300 or 250. Many times I have read that a properly modded and wired RB-250 beats everything else in the Rega line. First I'll audition the Bluenote arm which uses the same mounting as a Rega. If I like it and the price is right I may just stop there.

For a cart? Beleave it or not, I really like my Shure V15 IV. I also have an assortment of Grados, MAs and ATs to test. Low output moving coils are a whole 'nother ball game. What with matching transormers and all. Maybe a medium output like a Sumiko Blackbird.

One step at a time. I've been looking at VPI Scoutmasters in the same price range but when I saw this Bluenote in Rhode Island and read the reviews, I had to act. Luckily I have a very understanding wife.
1.gif

Rick
----------------

Rick,

I totally agree with the approach of "one step at a time", however I truly don't see a table of this quality realizing it's potential with any arm from Rega (regardless of the mod), nor any cartridge from Shure. Both truly defeat the purpose, and performance of the turntable. I would be more inclined to consider one of the mid to upper end unipivot arms offered by Bluenote.They developed their arms, based on extracting the best performane from their tables. I also like Max's sugestion of an SME. There's an SME V on Audiogon now at a bargain price. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtnrm&1113624655

Tons of better cartridge chocies are available.

Sorry to be the fly in the ointment, but why waste money and spin your wheels going no where fast. To get the best from the table, eliminate the weak links. JMHO.

Klipsch out.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edmund, Unfortunately, being retired on disability, I am under the control of a SWMBO.8.gif

Thus, I have to take it one step at a time. If I can get a good deal on the Bluenote arm the seller is going to leave me as a demo, that's the way I'll go. A cartridge upgrade will have to wait a few months or until I sell enough gear to justify it to her.

Anyone want to buy a NASCAR collection?

Rick

Rick,

Congrats on the new table. If it sounds as good as it looks your in for a treat. I've recently upgraded from a VPI Scout to a Scoutmaster with Outer ring clamp and I'm in analog heaven. My digital rig hardly gets used at this stage.

No Disc

----------------

On 3/11/2005 12:46:59 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Edmund, Unfortunately, being retired on disability, I am under the control of a SWMBO.
8.gif

Thus, I have to take it one step at a time. If I can get a good deal on the Bluenote arm the seller is going to leave me as a demo, that's the way I'll go. A cartridge upgrade will have to wait a few months or until I sell enough gear to justify it to her.

Anyone want to buy a NASCAR collection?

Rick
----------------

Rick,

More than most, and as a single parent, I totally understand budget limitations. I think I was just trying to point out that a Rega arms with mods should not be the "end" destination for your wonderful table. At present, I can't even justify in my mind, spending the cash to upgrade my Scout to the Scoutmaster, ....and I want to spend it. I may sell some of my excess audio pieces to get it done.

BTW, NASCAR is hot commercially. Could be gold in them thar' hills via ebay.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 3/11/2005 1:17:32 PM No Disc wrote:

Rick,

Congrats on the new table. If it sounds as good as it looks your in for a treat. I've recently upgraded from a VPI Scout to a Scoutmaster with Outer ring clamp and I'm in analog heaven. My digital rig hardly gets used at this stage.

No Disc

----------------

Scoutmaster - another really good table - the super version just won turntable of the year in TAS.

An Outer ring clamp - or something similar is on my shopping list (another one with SWMBO issues).

Just never ends this hobby does it....

I considered going to the Super Scout Master, but I already have an SDS speed controller and have done my own modifications to isolate my motor from the table itself. I doubt the SSM has very much over my table configuration aside from the flywheel effect and perhaps less motor vibration traveling through the belt.

The VPI ring clamp not only mates the vinyl to the platter and removes most warp in most lps, it has alot of mass to it which adds to the ineria of the platter. The net result for me is a feeling like I am no longer listening to a recording of the event but more like the actual event itself.

Some would argue that having to independant motors driving a single flywheel could lead to minor speed flucuations because of the motors not being perfectly synced to each other. I have not first hand experience with the setup, so this is just conjecture on my part. Would like to hear a SSM though.

No Disc

----------------

Scoutmaster - another really good table - the super version just won turntable of the year in TAS.

An Outer ring clamp - or something similar is on my shopping list (another one with SWMBO issues).

Just never ends this hobby does it....

----------------

Ok Rick, quit your blubbering and whining, of course I'd be happy to build you a dustcover.

What you'll probably need is one of sufficent size to be placed outside the acrylic base of the TT. If you have a seperate motor or awkward wire runs coming out the back I can leave the back open with just a bridge piece to each side to keep the top from saging. If you're not sure what I'm talking about here's a pic.

bencase.jpg

Send me mesurements and if I have sufficient stock in my house I'll brew it up over the weekend. If not it will probably have to wait until next weekend to get to the plastics store.

Obviously you've been receiving some very credible advice on arms/carts. Hopefully Larry Clare will also check in because this is one guy who really knows his way around a TT.

post-14801-13819262276894_thumb.jpg

Thanks Marty!3.gif

"Obviously you've been receiving some very credible advice on arms/carts. Hopefully Larry Clare will also check in because this is one guy who really knows his way around a TT"

Yes I have, there are many very knowledgable people here. Unfortunately, non of them are forwarding funds.15.gif

All in good time.

Rick

It's here!!!!!!!3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif

Hooked up with my Grado Reference Platinum and a Scott 299C as a phono stage. Sounds very good, no feedback even though it is only 4 feet from the right Khorn at 100 Db and The Moody Blues "Threshold Of A Dream".1.gif I can't wait to get my Blueberry back from Mark!

Now some pics. The arm is a Bluenote B5 Signature:

bluenote1.jpg

post-12829-13819262277484_thumb.jpg

You bet your booties NoDisc!!! I'm a proud papa!!!!

The guy who sold it to me thinks he can get me the Bluenote arm for $300. That's a steeal too. I figured I about stole the TT at $2200. The B5 Signature arm is $995 at the Needle Doctor and the Bluenote Bellagio TT is $5995.

I like your Scoutmaster too. I wonder if I can get a perimeter clamp for this TT?

Rick

It took like seven hours but I've got it dialed in now! I took of the Grado which I always thought sounded vield and installed the Shure V-15 IV set up on a protractor. Then little by little dialed in the VTA. When it's right, it's right!3.gif

Still not satisfied, I changed out the sqauwker drivers for Altecs. Nope. Went in the back and got out a pair of K-55Vs, adjusted the JBL 2404H tweeters to -2.25Db on their L-pads and now.........

The same Moody Blues album I played first on the Bluenote has them playing live in my room!!!!3.gif3.gif3.gif

Janis Siegal and Fred Hersch's "Short Stories" was magical.16.gif

Rick

3d,

Sorry to shout but KEEP THAT ARM - DO NOT GET A REGA 250 HOWEVER TUNED IT IS!!

Clear?

Oh - and get your hands on a Shelter 501 Mark 2 to go with it will ya - they are about $800 in the states I am lead to believe.

$300 for that arm is a steal - frankly anything below $500 and bite the guy's hand off.

Oh - looks great - who cares about a little dust..

Well congratulations:

"I won my second State Championship of the year this morning in Senior Bow Hunter class"

Whatever it means. You off to Beijing for the games then - in a few years time? Good chance to pick up some cheap audiophilia...