looking for a center channel...

DrWho

Well I doubt this thread will get me anywhere, but I am currently searching for a center channel to go between a pair of Chorus II mains. I know the academy is the suggested speaker, but they are expensive and rarely come up for sale. So I'm also looking to purchase a KLF-C7 as well. To be honest, I would prefer a speaker in crappy condition (as long as it sounds great) because it would end up costing me much less. I might also consider a single heresy speaker as well (I've had the chance to demo one of colterphoto's heresies and it sounds good to me...i like it being a bit brighter because it helps the intelligibility of the voices).

So ya, anybody have an academy or klf-c7 for sale? (or a single heresy)?

I've also read that it's cheaper to build an academy than to actually purchase one. Does klipsch still have the parts for sale or will that be another ebay adventure?

----------------

On 3/13/2005 3:26:49 PM DrWho wrote:

I know the academy is the suggested speaker, but they are expensive and rarely come up for sale. So I'm also looking to purchase a KLF-C7 as well. To be honest, I would prefer a speaker in crappy condition (as long as it sounds great) because it would end up costing me much less.

----------------

Doc, here's a GREAT deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5760058471&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The KT-LCR is a THX-rated Left-center-right combination. You rarely see these up for sale and these are minty. At $400 for all three, you can keep one and sell the other two. They make GREAT center channels. I've owned one and loved it and sold it only when I went to a Belle.

A great deal IMHO. I bet you could sell the other two here on the forum to like-minded folk looking for an Academy but not wanting to pay Academy prices.

Move quickly. This shouldn't last long.

Chris

Yikes, thanks for all the responses (got a lot of PMs as well).

Though the KVs and LTs are probably good speakers, I'm willing to wait for a really good timbre match. I've had the opportunity to demo the chorus/cornwall/klf-C7/heresy and I'm confident that they will work. I can only imagine that the academy would make a good center as well. I would have to demo any other ideas before buying off ebay.

Btw, thanks for all the offers I got in the PM's as well 16.gif

(maybe that heresy deal will work out...*crosses fingers*) 2.gif

Coytee has three black ones see if you can strike a deal for one, trust me the Academy is better than the KLF-C7 and the KV-4 hands down with no mods.

His auction just ended without meeting the reserve so its worth an email.

The only speaker that would outperform the Academy in your situation would be another speaker identical to you mains.

The parts alone for a the Academy are available but they are going to run you better than $350, then you have to build the cabinet and a grill, then install an input cup and I am not sure if the crossover network is included in the parts cost or not.

Well I don't have any NOS Tubes, so perhaps I can buy some lightbulbs and put a label on them 2.gif I'll give it some time to see if Gilbert or Coytee pop their head in before I go hunting them down.

Just outta curiousity, have you had the chance to listen to both the C7 and academy? How would you describe the difference?

I have heard all three the KLF-C7, KV-4 and the Academy. The Academy is the clear winner for detailed, articulate and decipherable dialogue.

I'll be honest I replaced my KV-4 with an Academy and certainly did not expect it to be a real big improvement but the moment I hooked it up and gave it a listen I was amazed at the difference. What puzzled me even further is that the KV-4 has a larger 2" mid/tweeter and the Academy with a little K-76 tweeter in there walked all over it. In addition, it is 3db less efficient to

boot and it still outperformed it. Go figure.

After owning one I understand why people are willing to pay the big bucks for them, its worth it!

KLF-C7 dude! Want to borrow mine for a while to check it out? I'll be setting up the RB5/RC7 system anyway when the Cornwalls go in the garage for servicing, so the KLF wont be used for the summer.

I could bring it up to ya when I pick up those Heresies next week or whenever I could meet you in Champaign.

and don't blow up my heresies kiddo- TURN IT DOWN!!!

Good luck with the DR this week- heal fast, okay?

Michael

I'm getting my tonsils taken out on march 16th, 8:30 am CST 2.gif

(i've waited 12 years to finally get the bloody surgery)

Just out of curiousity I put one of colter's heresies into center duty and seriously I can't imagine a better center channel. In the future I don't think it'd hurt to have an extra heresy for my all-heritage HT 2.gif Colter has the Heresy I's, are the II's magenetically shielded? If not, what are you guys doing to accomplish this? (I'm not quite sure where to purchase the bucking magnets or how much they'd cost).

I'm getting my tonsils taken out on march 16th, 8:30 am CST 2.gif

(i've waited 12 years to finally get the bloody surgery)

Just out of curiousity I put one of colter's heresies into center duty and seriously I can't imagine a better center channel. In the future I don't think it'd hurt to have an extra heresy for my all-heritage HT 2.gif Colter has the Heresy I's, are the II's magenetically shielded? If not, what are you guys doing to accomplish this? (I'm not quite sure where to purchase the bucking magnets or how much they'd cost).

DrWHo,

The 'bucking' magnets (someone please explain this term) is, in my understanding, a similar magnet to that on the woofer, that is adhered back to back to cancel the electromagnetic field that would normally emanate from the speaker. Don't know about the Heresy II, but think the magnets are available for most Klipsch speakers. It'd be a call or email to Klipsch (try Trey) to get one.

So you wanna try out my KLF for a while? Don't let those college guys spill beer in it though!

Michael

----------------

On 3/13/2005 3:26:49 PM DrWho wrote:

Well I doubt this thread will get me anywhere, but I am currently searching for a center channel to go between a pair of Chorus II mains. I know the academy is the suggested speaker, but they are expensive and rarely come up for sale. So I'm also looking to purchase a KLF-C7 as well. To be honest, I would prefer a speaker in crappy condition (as long as it sounds great) because it would end up costing me much less. I might also consider a single heresy speaker as well (I've had the chance to demo one of colterphoto's heresies and it sounds good to me...i like it being a bit brighter because it helps the intelligibility of the voices).

So ya, anybody have an academy or klf-c7 for sale? (or a single heresy)?

I've also read that it's cheaper to build an academy than to actually purchase one. Does klipsch still have the parts for sale or will that be another ebay adventure?

----------------

The KT-LCR uses 2 K-1008-KV woofers, same as the KG 2.2V. It also uses the K-90-KV tweeter, same as the KLF-C7 and the CF 1. It would be interesting to hear the difference in sound for the difference in dollars.

Keith