Converting a Model D Khorn to a Model B

blindman

An inquiring mind would like to know:

1) How far back from the front is the 1" riser?

2) How far back from the sides is the 1" riser?

3) How tall is the kick plate (toe plate) at the bottom?

4) How far back from the front does the grill cloth on the upper section go on the sides?

Blindman, on my '62's, which I suppose are about the same, the answers are as follows:

1) How far back from the front is the 1" riser? 1 5/8"

EDIT: The riser is 1"[/font> high. (End Edit)

2) How far back from the sides is the 1" riser?

It is set in 1" from the side

3) How tall is the kick plate (toe plate) at the bottom?

2 inches, and 3/8" thick

4) How far back from the front does the grill cloth on the upper section go on the sides?

Four inches. The grill is inset 1/16" from the edge of the wood above and below -- it's not quite flush.

Here are answers to some questions you didn't ask, so you probably know, but here they are anyway:

The riser is sandwiched between 5/8" high veneered wood "plates", both of which, together with the riser, are part of the top section.

The upper plate and grill are not flush with the front. Rather, the front of the upper plate is set back 11/16" from the lower plate and bass bin front panel. Thus, the setback from the front of the upper plate to the riser is 15/16".

Unlike the front, the side of the upper plate is not stepped in from the lower plate. On the side, the top (including both plates) is flush with the bottom section, except for the riser.

Larry

I think the riser is only 3/4 inch wood i cant see Klipsch buying 1 inch wood for that spacer and Andy said its just scrap from a sheet of 3/4 any way since you only see the edge, i guess on some they might have built it out of mitered strips to to save wood.Rick

Maybe someone could measure for us on thier model B's. I had 2 different members do this before for me and the measurement was 1". I have never had B's so I am going off of what others tell me. What you are saying makes sense. I hope you are right, that would make things much eaiser for anyone doing the build.

I measured my riser again, it's 1", and I edited my post above. I don't know where I got 7/16" originally. Sorry for the error. I do think the 1" rise is in a nice proportion with the 5/8" plates above and below. It seems to me that PWK had a remarkable eye for design and proportion (along with everything else).

I measured the kick plate again, I still get 3/8" rather than 1/2" thick. It certainly could have changed since 1962.

Larry

My plates on the model C are 11/16" or modern day 3/4" Birch Plywood.

Todays lumber sizes what a joke, nothing is what it says 2" x 4" is not that at all. I looked at a 1" x 8" x 9'the other day it was .75 x 7 1/2" x 9'.

Now why not just call it what it is instead of trying to pawn off something larger for much less. I guess the lumber merchants think the building industry can't read a ruler.

I know, I know, the system was an industry standard set up years ago but who cares it is just plain stupid.

I too am planning upgrading a pair of "D" Khorns to "B" models.

----------------

On 3/15/2005 1:11:12 PM ricktate wrote:

I think the riser is only 3/4 inch wood i cant see Klipsch buying 1 inch wood for that spacer and Andy said its just scrap from a sheet of 3/4 any way since you only see the edge

----------------

The spacer isn't made from a 1" think piece of wood, rather a 1" high piece of 3/4" plywood standing on it's edge. Nothing fancy... just some scraps like mentioned.

As for the lumber sizes.... My understanding is lumber dimensions we frequently know are "rough sawn" sizes which then used to get "planned" down to the actual sizes we get. So when someone bought a rough sawn 2x4" it was 2"x4" but had the option of also buying the finish version which would have been the 1-1/2" x 3-5/8" we get now. Rough sawn lumber is no longer available... and the stuff we do get is simply "nicely cut" but not planned like before. The most confusing part I find is that the dimension looses 1/2" in one direction and 3/8" in the other. Move up the lumber scale... and both dimensions are loosing 1/2". Go figure...

BTW, metric lumber is called by it's true size.

Rob