GRRRR RFI interference.....

KungFuNat

so as i like to listen to a bit of music before going to bed each night, i have been noticing a slight buzzing noise comming from my speakers, at first i just chalked it up to the hyper-sesitivity of my cornwalls... but it seemed to be getting worse this evening.

i walked up to the speaker and put my ear right up againsed it. what did i hear? a local radio station comming through on my cornwalls!! so i started moving around the speaker cables, moving the power cables, everything i could think of to find out if the RFI was comming from my wires, or componants. through process elimination i found that it is my interconnects from preamp to amp that are the culprits.

i unplugged them from my preamp and the interferance was still there, if i unplugged them from the power amp, the noise dissapears.. the interconnects i used are cheap tributaries cable reccomended by my local dealer... well, these things absolutely have to go, but the question is: will i have the problem with just about any cable, or do i need to specifically look for something with a heavy duty sheild... i dont beleive in spending megabucks on cables, any suggestions? ive been looking at signal cables, but none of them have a 100% sheild coverage.

HELP!

Nat: I understand this frustration.

Sometimes common coaxial cable ICs are not the most suitable for audio, especially in areas of high RFI. The reason is, is that the shield, which is what is supposed to sheild the conductor from noise problems, is also the ground return for the circuit. In other words, it can still pick up noise, almost like an antenna. You might try using a cable based on twinaxial geometry, which uses two conductors (1 hot, the other common) plus shield, where the shield is grounded at one end, only -- experiment with what works best in terms of which end (amp or preamp)the grounded shield is connected. This provides the necessary ground connection, plus the benefit of an active shield (which only needs to be grounded at one end)without the influx of RFI/EMI. This can really help -- I hope it provides some relief. Athough a little more complicated, a very small capacitive filter can be used, as well.

BTW: You can use some good, two conductor mic cable for this purpose, and make your own cables. It's a little more difficult to work with but you can give it a try. Radio Shack sells two conductor plus shield audio cable that, while not the best available, will give you an idea if it's the coaxial shield connection that's causing the problem. They have the necessary RCA jacks, too. If you don't know how to solder, you could practice for a couple of hours and master it. It's easy! If you want to try, but aren't sure where to begin, send me an email, and I'll give you some step-by-step instructions.

Erik

----------------

On 3/15/2005 5:46:27 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

Sometimes common coaxial cable ICs are not the most suitable for audio, especially in areas of high RFI. The reason is, is that the shield, which is what is supposed to sheild the conductor from noise problems, is also the ground return for the circuit. In other words, it can still pick up noise, almost like an antenna. You might try using a cable based on twinaxial geometry, which uses two conductors (1 hot, the other common) plus shield, where the shield is grounded at one end, only -- experiment with what works best in terms of which end (amp or preamp)the grounded shield is connected. This provides the necessary ground connection, plus the benefit of an active shield (which only needs to be grounded at one end)without the influx of RFI/EMI. This can really help -- I hope it provides some relief. Athough a little more complicated, a very small capacitive filter can be used, as well.

Erik

----------------

Monster Cable "Interlink" I/C's are frequently available on A-gon or Ebay for around $30-$35 for a 1-m. pair, and to my knowledge those MCs are the twin-axial design Erik so nicely describes. The product description of this Ebay item mentions the foil shield, and aluminum is supposed be good at blocking RFI. Note that there probably are little arrows on the I/C (a point of contention in a recent thread), that point to the end where the shield is grounded. Conventional wisdom says that's the "output" end for best RFI control.

Larry

Wrapping your house in aluminum foil works and cuts down on future painting costs.

Otherwise, if this is a brand new thing it is pretty safe to assume that a station just finished some transmitter work and is, for now, a bit over powered for the type of broadcast antenna used. Doesn't fix your problem, but the FCC is pretty darn stringent and should catch this soon.

Of the solutions noted - coax is a pretty good idea. Manufacturing standards for coax have been around for quite some time so you usually get an excellent product.

"Misery loves company" so the saying goes. My household has 6 computers (three Macs, three PCs), two aquariums, two electrostatic air cleaners, one HEPA air cleaner, and one humidifier. The RFI, especially from 2-5 MHz is pretty bad. Good thing I am only a casual shortwave listener and not a ham!

Despite all this, I have no interference with the HT set-up.

"Misery loves company" so the saying goes. My household has 6 computers (three Macs, three PCs), two aquariums, two electrostatic air cleaners, one HEPA air cleaner, and one humidifier. The RFI, especially from 2-5 MHz is pretty bad. Good thing I am only a casual shortwave listener and not a ham!

Despite all this, I have no interference with the HT set-up.

as i said before, if i remove the interconnects completely from my amp, the RFI completely dissapears. i also have all my commponants plugged into a tripplite surge-protector which provides complete RFI and EMI filtering... it is without a doubt the analog interconnects.

i too would like to know the exact parts for those $15 interconnects...

It's not being amplified when you disconnect the interconnects. If you've tried OTHER interconnects and it stopped, then there is no argument here...

It is most likely NOT coming from the interconnects. Interconnects are usually too short to act as radio antennas, that is, 1/4 wave stubs and the impedance of the connections is too high. I'm thinking AC to the preamp? Even moving or rearranging the AC cable could help.

However, it could be that the local station is new or using a higher output, and THAT could effect EMF in practically ANY cabling, including interconnects. But I would think that careful arrangement of the cables at odd angles could help the wires to not "cut" the lines of EMF at right angles.

DM2.gif