Best 7-800 sub

ancientdude

You really think that kit is worth it?

I feel a little gipped that i am paying only 200 for the sub...which in car prices is really just a regular old sub...

and the amp is rated at 1000 watts...which is not true wattage but merely the exxagerated...

those are my only concerns...

----------------

On 3/15/2005 3:41:01 PM ancientdude wrote:

You really think that kit is worth it?

I feel a little gipped that i am paying only 200 for the sub...which in car prices is really just a regular old sub...

and the amp is rated at 1000 watts...which is not true wattage but merely the exxagerated...

those are my only concerns...

----------------

You'd be surprised - a $200 cone is actually not cheap at all.

The amp rating is not exaggerated - class G, just like BASH can deliver the full wattage when needed... but it's more efficient.

I've heard a lot of different subs, and to my ears, this one sounds extremely good... especially in terms of the tightness of the bass, transients, decay, and impact. The extension could be better, but considering it's a small sealed package, it's about as good as it gets. So far it's easily surpassed every sub under $1000 that I've heard, and sounded as good as damn near every sub $1000-2000 that I've heard. For movies, where you want impact, it's a very fine choice.

ancientdude,

ill tell you right now that your paying for quality components. 200 for the driver and 400 for the amp equals 600(this is quite lower than msrp). add the finished cab and free shiping and the price is 688. i dont see the problem at all. and keep in mind that these are "house brand" parts, not some dam name brand(although name brand is good). imo, the kit parts are not marked up near as much as name brands. and there made in the usa(not sure how much that means?). the warrenty is also good.

scp53

I'd second Hurd's recommendation for a used Paradigm PW-2200... great sub for a bargain price used. I see quite a few pop up in the classifieds... and it will hold it's ground with many 15" subs.

I don't know how close "ancientdude" is to the US border... but I wouldn't recommend anything shipped from the US using UPS... which unfortunately includes all equipment from PartsExpress. Once you factor in the UPS brokerage... it'll be substantially more expensive than it's list price.

There are other, more friendly DIY suppliers though...

Rob

PS: Car audio subs frequently require small enclosures which loose efficiency and low frequency performance... yet they will require high power handling to compensate for it. This drives the cost up, with the only benefit being a smaller enclosure. Depends how critical size vs performance is to the designer.

----------------

On 3/15/2005 6:14:38 PM ancientdude wrote:

im about 1 hour from the border...

looks like its the kit for 688...

its getting me excited! haha...new audio equipment...YAY!

----------------

There are a couple of other cheap and small things you should buy - get some spray adhesive from PartsExpress, as well as polyfill to stuff the sub. Both are essentially a requirement.

You should also get a good 5/32" hex screwdriver... don't get the set from PE, because they are not exact -> get one from a hardware store.

Here's a small tip - when you're screwing in the driver, don't apply pressure directly on top of the screw, because it may dislodge the T-nut from the other side.

Let us know if you get the kit... and when you're done, let us know the result.

P.S. Check out my review with building/setup tips here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=59175

I just friction fit the foam into mine. I cut the pieces to fit snug into the sides so i didnt make a mess with adhesive. but you have the 15in kit and that cab is bigger.

and how much diff would polyfill make in the cab? isnt it more a of a "personal thing"? i cant remember

scp53

Mine friction fit as well, but i decided that it was a permanent installation so I attached the foam. Spray adhesive is under $10, so there really is no reason not to use it. I actually didn't use polyfill myself, but I've talked to people who did, and they say it adds a little bit more extension, which is important for a sealed sub.

At some point in the near future I'll have to get some polyfill and stuff my sub too.

From what I understand and experience with polyfil, is you can fake a larger size enclosure than it is, which would lower extension I guess.

It works kind of in a resistive way, unlike using fiberglass on the panel walls to kill reflections and some resonance.

There is a trick with a AA battery one can do....stuff polyfil in the cabinet, and make sure the polarity is correct with the battery. Stuff polyfil until the boom comes down to a mild thump or tap. Then you should be pretty well damped.

Dunno if this would apply to subwoofers......probably.

SVS is a poor choice when you factor in the brokerage and taxes that the government take when you bring an item across the U.S. Canada border, the same goes for kits and raw speakers. This is above the shipping costs, which can get atrocious for heavy / bulky items.

Keep in mind that the original poster was looking for something in the 700-800 dollar range in Canadian funds. Used powered subwoofers offer the best potential value, especially if you are close to a larger city.

Do-it-yourself could be an option, with a kit being a best way of learning, and having a subwoofer in an optimum enclosure.