new question about isolation of TT prevent feedback

ok here we go again does anyone know of a way that a turntable can be isolated to help prevent feedback, my dual sounds and plays fine i have it monuted on a wall shelf approximately 8 feet from the closest speaker, at low and normal volumes i have no problems with feedback but when a good song comes on and i want to crank her up a bit i get that loud rumbleing feedback through my bass speakers on the cornwallsmy room is about 12 by 14 and the TT is set about as far away from the speakers as possiable, i guess i could hunt up a way to move it to another room, but that really inconvenient actually just wandering if there are any tweaks one can do to help prevent this, or a material that would kinda isolate the thing Thanks 10.gif Joe

Get that table off the wall shelf! The modes are moving the wall like a piston. The shelf is just magnifying the oscillation because it is holding the table up against gravity. If you have a solid concrete foundation you might get an existing closet shelf or other big 20"x20" flat peice of wood/particle board and set it on the floor. You table may be OK there. If you have a small short legged table you could try placing the TT on there. The main thing is not to couple the turntable support to the wall. Modes care less about distance and more about geometry. Walls are where the levels are highest.

How is the shelf attached to the wall, i.e., is it screwed into one or more studs? That might make the wall part of it more stable. What is the shelf made of, and could it resonate? Is your floor concrete, or is it a more flexible wood flooring. FWIW, I had to move my TT off a stand on a wood floor, because the needle would jump when I walked in and out of the room. I went to a Target wall mount, which worked wonders. However, my TT and other equipment are in a separate room from my speakers.

The underlying question may be how you can isolate you TT from shelf, wall, and airborne vibrations. My method was a Townshend sink that worked well and also cleaned up the sound nicely. A search on "isolation" will bring up lots of members' good suggestions!

Larry

I'm going to relay something that I've done lately that has made a big difference re my TT. I'm hesitant to tell about this because I know I'm going to take a beating from others on this "ultra low-tech" approach to an isolation table. I took a 10 inch diameter flower pot bottom and placed 14 tennis balls in it and placed that on top of a half-inch cork base. On top of the tennis balls I placed a 16 inch square paving stone that weighs approximately 30-35 lbs. This all sets on a brass and glass sofa table that, in turn, rests on a concrete floor with pad and carpet. I don't notice vibration related problems anymore - I call it the poor man's isolation table. It may sound dumb, but it solved a lot of my problems for less than $25. OK - let the beating commence, I've prepared myself.

ok i see everyone says the shelf is a problem, now heres another wrinkle i live in a rather old house with a block foundation, and wooden floors, just walking across the floors was causing my previous turntable to skip(thorens 160, that i still have) i read some articles here and there and the big suggestion i was getting was for a wall shelf, the shelf is attached to the wall with screws, it is aa home made shelf of 3/4 inch oak plywood, see attached pic, about the only way to stabalize the floors in this old house would be to go under it and install cross beams and jacks(i rent the house and dont want to invest that kind of time and money into someone elses house)so are there any other alternatives ????10.gif Joe

My son-in-law has a "turntable pillow" that works for him in an older house with pier-and-beam construction and wooden floors. I don't know what it is made of --foam or blow up or what. It was made for that purpose. I have no clue where he got it, but I will check.

DR BILL

Again, just walking across the floor was my problem as well. I neglected to say that one side of my stand is screwed into a stud with a pair of something like 2.5" - 3" screws. We had to do molybolts on the other side because the stud spacing wasn't right, but it's held up very nicely and currently supports about 100 lbs. See the pictures on this NeedleDoctor web page to see what I mean.

Larry

EDIT: Oh, I just saw your pic, I see yours is much like the Target. Maybe Paul is on "target" about the wall being the problem. It looks like isolation under the TT is needed -- do the search under isolation that I suggested. A forum member borrowed a Townshend sink and it cured his TT jiggle problem, but those are expensive even used.

scott im not sure which dual you are talking about but my cs-5000 is a belt drive servo controlled speed and is very quiet, and the problem was connected to the vibrations caused when the volume was increased to a certain level.

HOWEVER THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE SOLVED NOW THANKS TO THE ADVICE OF LARRY C, I WENT TO THE SEARCH AND CHECKED OUT THE ISOLATION AS YOU SUGGESTED AND WENT TO LOWES AND TARGET SPENT 21.00 ON THE UGLIEST ISOLATION BOARD EVER PRODUCED(temporary) THE SHELF WAS TAKEN DOWN AND 2X2 CROSS SUPPORTS INSTALLED THEN THE SHELF WAS REINSTALLED ON THOSE, SET 5 RAQUET BALLS IN FURN. CUPS, AND SET A 30 POUND CONCRETE PAVER ON THOSE, SET tt BACK ON TOP AND PLAYED THE NOTORIOUS SONG THAT SHOWED THE PROBLEM LAST EVE, I NOW HAVE IT PLAYING LOUDER BY FAR AND NO FEEDBACK!!!!!!!! on a side note the bass seems to hit harder, and overall clearer sound could just be a placebo effect but ill live with it for now, of course i will have to try to make this prettier at some point but hey if ugly works i will take it10.gif Joe

Mass will tell!

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and purchase two each outdoor sidewalk squares which measure 18" X 18" X 2" along with eight each soft rubber door stoppers and a can of semi-gloss black spray paint.

Give the squares a couple coats of black paint outdoors and let them dry for a day. Now for the hard part ...

Place the first four stoppers, round-side down, under the first sidewalk square and your component table or shelf. Now place the next four stoppers, round side up, under the second sidewalk square and place on top of the first square. Place your turntable on top of the stack.

This low-cost tweek will cost about $16.00 and will eliminate feedback as well as create a low frequency mass that will not ring.

Now convince your wife and friends that this is a $300 special platform. It has its own form and beauty but ... it does work well.

You got the idea Joe, it's a combination of mass and suspension. I know what you mean about bouncy floors, but if you put Turntable on a heavy floor mounted stand NEAR the wall, the floor will be stiff there and you wont have the problem of wall shake. Is the foundation a basement or crawl space under this room? There are fairly simple ways to stiffen the floor under your equipment area that may help as well.

Just keep adding weight and bouncy stuff. I remember a bar I installed a dj booth in this stagecoach looking contraption, kept bouncing around. Finally ended up with a shelf full of bricks suspended from the ceiling to put the turntables on. It was a rock!

Michael

I am the poor man:

http://enjoythemusic.com/tweaks/

Save $1680

Simple to make platform isolates vibrations:

Brings out details for CD and record players.

by A.C. Flood

A recent high-end print magazine did a recent review on one of their favorite pieces of equipment; a specially made, high tech, damping base for the front end of your stereo. The Vibraplane© is intended principally for your turntable, but it will also work with your CD player and tube equipment . It is the ultimate turntable base.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0404/ginkocloud10.htm

My DIY platforms weigh more and jiggle less than the simple Cloud 10s. Where I corralled a dozen tennis balls, Cloud 10s drills conical dimples for a few small balls. Knocking on my entertainment center wiggles the Cloud 10 as easily as new Cadillac, but NOT my ungainly, rock-solid platforms. Yet, the more expensive and elegant Cloud 10s are no less competent; the difference in sound quality they made is just as significant.

16.gif