Mother of all dumb questions?

Coytee

If most Heritage owners are interested in making their Khorns (for example) sound as good as possible... coupled with the memory I have of reading that the CURRENT Khorn sounds better than prior versions...

Why not just order new drivers and x'overs from Klipsch? Ain't the "box" essentially the same?

Don't some of us pout about the (probable) demise of the Heritage line and others make the point that most of us ... well, some (since I don't know how many) have bought our Khorns used, verses new?

Seems to me that for those of us who bought used Khorns, Klipsch didn't get one cent from that specific transaction. Now, what if we gutted them and brought them to current specs via what ever current drivers and X'over are?

We'd be supporting Klipsch, we'd be making our Khorns "current" and from what I've read of the AK4 (I think it's called?) network, we'd have the most recent version and one that I seem to recall having read, sounds great.

I know it'll cost "x" dollars, but isn't that STILL cheaper than buying a new Khorn?

(btw, I'm not trying to start any flames, I honestly wondering why people don't just go to the source when afaik, it's available)

1.gif

$1800-$1900 is alot of coin for a little loss in efficiency and some performance gains.

The gains can be achieved by upgrading the network components to bring them into the 21st century at a significant less cost. I cannot imagine that the AK-4 Klipschorn is leaps and bounds better than its predecessors. Better yes, but to what degree $2K worth - I think not.

That $1800-$1900 could buy me another pair of Klipschorn's or go towards a nice Plasma television.

----------------

On 3/17/2005 11:58:51 AM Frzninvt wrote:

$1800-$1900 is alot of coin for a little loss in efficiency and some performance gains.

The gains can be achieved by upgrading the network components to bring them into the 21st century at a significant less cost. I cannot imagine that the AK-4 Klipschorn is leaps and bounds better than its predecessors. Better yes, but to what degree $2K worth - I think not.

That $1800-$1900 could buy me another pair of Klipschorn's or go towards a nice Plasma television.

----------------

In an age where some nuts spend many times that amount for wires and cables for a possibly phantom improvement, $1800 for a guarenteed improvement is cheap.

After upgrading my Klipschorns, the Klipsch AK4 upgrade actually looks pretty good in 20-20 hindsight. From what I understand, they give you new tweeters, midrange drivers, crossovers, and wiring. It's pretty easy to break $1000 buying new crossovers, horn drivers, and tweeters yourself. I know, because I've done it. I notice a substantial upgrade in sound compared to where I started. Does my upgrade sound as good as the AK4? I may never know, because I would need to have the new AK4 system in my basement to be able to compare them side-by-side with my upgrades. Klipsch has the advantage of having full time engineers and technicians design their system and test it in an anechoic chamber. I would hope theirs is better than mine. I do have one major criticism of Klipsch though. They should have their upgrades and components listed somewhere in plain site on their website. I can't say that I would have run right out and bought it - $1800 is a still a lot to spend. However, if I were to advise someone who was thinking of upgrading, I would at least tell them to seriously consider it. Especially if they are not a compulsive tweaker like myself, and would just like to listen to music. So no - it's not a dumb question at all!

Mark

----------------

On 3/17/2005 11:58:51 AM Frzninvt wrote:

----------------

Perhaps so, but what is the cost for a "regular" xover update from one of the guys? If it's (as a guess) $500, then you're "only" talking about a 1,300 to 1,400 difference... I might toss in a couple Krispy Kreams for rounding errors..If the regular update is $1,000, then all the sudden, the numbers aren't so harsh. (and I'll still toss in a Krispy Kream... oh... those are doughnuts for anyone reading that might have not heard of KK)

11.gif9.gif3.gif

Point being... if I'm going to make an update, (and I have ZERO idea of what it's cost is), then how much extra would it be for me to support Klipsch? If it's "reasonable" as defined by each individuals finances, why not go that route?

By the way, I'm NOT actively considering any updates until I get my basement together & pull my AA LaScalas out of mothballs.

10.gif

Average network update is on the order of around $350, ALK's are in the range and higher of what you quoted.

$350 is alot less than $1800, the newer drivers are similar to the K-55V's, and the K-77X is not much better than the K-77M, the part that makes the biggest difference is the AK-4 network itself.

If I was going to invest that kinda cash in my horns I would take the route that QMan and others have taken and go with Altec Horns and JBL tweeters with John Warren's networks or ALK's ES networks. That way you are really getting performance value to dollars spent.

----------------

On 3/17/2005 3:28:27 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Average network update is on the order of around $350, ALK's are in the range and higher of what you quoted.

$350 is alot less than $1800, the newer drivers are similar to the K-55V's, and the K-77X is not much better than the K-77M, the part that makes the biggest difference is the AK-4 network itself.

If I was going to invest that kinda cash in my horns I would take the route that QMan and others have taken and go with Altec Horns and JBL tweeters with John Warren's networks or ALK's ES networks. That way you are really getting performance value to dollars spent.

----------------

Taking into mind the ideas that some are trying to keep the Heritage Line going, pure, it is an alternative.

Some would take the route you suggest. That is an individual choice, guided by their desired results.

Coytee only suggests a way of updating or some would say modifying, you give an alternative method.

Both have merit to individuals.

I supported Coytee as I would like to see Heritage continue as long as possible. I realize that the market is not large, but it's a way of straightforward upgrade.

Taking Nothing away from Dean's rebuilding and Al K's methods.

dodger