New preamp or new TT??

BillH2121

kittybuddy - luckily, my C26 was just checked and it is close to spec - the tech was very surprised at how well it tested considering it had never had anything replaced or done to it. He cleaned it and declared it a "keeper". And, I just finalized a deal on my 2125 - so upgrade TT, here I come! The bad news for members of this Board - you're going to have to endure numerous questions from me about the various TTs I find.

ben - I have read some reviews today of the Scout and looked for used models online. I certainly think it is the forerunner in my mind at this point. A used one will probably stretch me more than the $1000 mark I had in mind, but I hope to find one that perhaps includes a good cartridge. The past review in Stereophile is certainly impressive. One thing is for sure - it is better to be a buyer online than a seller. My listing on another site brought out some strange, and apparently frustrated, individuals. Another thing - I hope the Scout is as easy to set up as is touted. However, I am hoping that there will be some more input in this thread as to TTs people think can rival the Scout, especially at my price range. What cart are you using with your TT?

My Scout was $1100 without a cart, a pretty good deal. I'd be very surprised if you found one with a cart in that range. Your Shure could get you by until you could afford an upgrade in that department. Weisfeld actually recommends it's big brother the V15 as a good match, and they can be found for about two bills if you look around.

I use the Benz Glider, high output MC. Very nice, indeed. Got a great deal from a good friend, so I'm at $1500 all in.

I think you'd find the Scout pretty easy to set up.

----------------

On 3/24/2005 5:51:47 PM ben. wrote:

Weisfeld actually recommends it's big brother the V15 as a good match, and they can be found for about two bills if you look around.

----------------

I'm on my second V15 (love it, by the way) and I picked up a V15VxMR up for $275 as opposed to the $325 that Audio Advisor sells it for back then. They don't even carry Shure cartriges any more. Do a Froogle search and see what happens.

Here's the cheapest I found so far:

http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.php?product_item_number=20023300224

Guy's recommendations are all very nice.

THe Music Hall MMF-7 is still amazing for the money and the cart is not a slouch by any means.

I was listening to 180 gram Santanas greatest hits 2 lp set at NOS Valves yesterday on his MMF-7. Damn awesome timbale reproduction; superb attack.

I know you must be tired of this, but the Garrott P-77 (yes, THAT again 9.gif ) is a great cart. I got my first from the guys at needledoctor. Since then prices have been increased 15.gif , but IMO this cartridge performs exceptionally well. Just one thing to remember: Garrott suggests raising the arm at pivot by about 5mm above the more common parallel arm position (though even this has to be verified by listening) and THAT is really the way the arm should be adjusted for this particular cartridge.

Wolfram