MORE early tube failure

oscarsear

I know virtually nothing about tubes except which ones go in which sockets and that it costs a lot of money to make your gear sound just a little bit better.2.gif

That being said, I've only had one tube go bad in 3 years. In that time I've owned at least 7 or 8 pieces of tube equipment. My rectifier tube blew because of a loose pin in one of my output tube sockets.

What you're going through is NOT normal by any means. Good luck! I hope it's something simple like mine was.

Per Cary it's been agreed to wait and watch. The opinion consensus is that the serious fry out of the KT-90 stressed out the other tubes in that side of the circuitry. If correct it puts me back to my original beef which was the quality of NOS tube product from Upscale. They're not replacing the 7308 even though they acknowledge that their bad KT-90 may have aided in its early demise. This sorta puke rather tarnishes the enjoyment factor in the system.14.gif15.gif I'm about ready to reconnect my Adcom solid state stuff.

----------------

On 3/24/2005 12:10:58 PM Trey Cannon wrote:

The only Tube gear I like is the old finder twin...where you WANT distroation...

Not in my home audio gear...

I was / am just picking at the tube guys...If you like the way it sounds, then it is right....----------------

Trey your full a sh!t you need to move back to Arky land where some people are dumb enough to swallow your line 2.gif (no offense to the fine educated Arkansas members of this forum)

Distortion my god.

Amy could you please Ban Trey LMAO !!!!!

Oscar, any seller can sell a bad tube unintentionally. The fault is in not replying to you. Kevin has ten thousand tubes; giving one up wouldn't hurt him.

And Dr Gary is right--I, too, don't know s#!+ from wild honey about tubes, but I own over a hundred, along with Hickok 800K and TV-7D/U testers. I have seen only one dead tube during the course of buying and selling hundreds of the things, through Ebay and from the most reputable sellers in the country. I have seen a lot of weak tubes, and that's where a tester helps. It's also a load of fun and you can tune out deficiencies in your room or system with tube selection. Patience, my friend.

Craig, I believe Trey was talking about a FENDER guitar amp and driving it into mild distortion (which is good). I'm looking for a small distortion box myself, Fender preferably. Your amps wouldn't fare well doing duty as a guitar amp Craig, not enough distortion! Randy

In the course of exploring my situation it has been implied that some tube sellers do not actually test all the tubes they sell. They test several of a batch then assume the rest fall in line. The KT-90 that toasted on me was running at a nominal bias and it lit up like Pearl Harbor on its very 1st outing. I'm very skeptical that it had been tested before I had my hands on it. Intentional; no. Hap hazard, poor quality control...more likely. None the less it was a paper plane for Concorde prices and I do expect better product and service than that from the vendors I deal with. 7.gif7.gif

The only Tube gear I like is the old finder twin...where you WANT distroation...

Not in my home audio gear...

I was / am just picking at the tube guys...If you like the way it sounds, then it is right....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Craig has done to my Ampex preamp and Scott 208 amp is amazng to me.

I can turn the gain up to full on phono or the input I use for CD and I have to get my ear stuck to the grill cloth before I can hear any noise. And my ears have ben tested to 16, 200 HZ min.The bass and soundstage is so darn real. Vocals effortless; The new Ray Charles Duets CD is so easy to listen to.

Trey;

Send your Cornwalls to me they need a spring break vacation from SS at old Uncle Rick's. They will most certainly come home refreshed.