Cornwall internal acoustic material

mark1101

Does anyone know if the original "toilet paper" type acoustic deadening material for the inside of a cornwall is still available anywhere? In the "62 cornwall..." thread, there are great pictures of what I am looking for. It's the original stuff that's also in my '73 corns. My cat used to hide in there years ago when it was a kitty and it is somewhat shreaded.

I just opened the speakers to remove the networks last night and I would like to replace this material, and keep it original if possible.

Thanks

There was a thread around here that linked to a guy selling a specialized 'egg-crate'foam for that very purpose. Had better acoustical properties than the bedding foam. Someone was using it for CWII which originally came with NO Dampening material whatsoever. Check threads on Cornwall, foam, etc.

Michael

The original stuff is no longer available, but technology has moved forward. I would remove it and replace it with acoustic panels from bass linear or parts express I am certain it would be better than the woven toilet paper.

Ask my brother in law Gilbert he had to redo his '67's & '68's since the paper was deteriorated I think he was really pleased with the bass linear panels. I never got to see a photo of the inside of his finished speakers though.

The original stuff is no longer available, but technology has moved forward. I would remove it and replace it with acoustic panels from bass linear or parts express I am certain it would be better than the woven toilet paper.

Can I get a little info on what I am looking for, and a link to these places if possible. I could search, but if you could point me to the correct materials, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

I checked out both the Parts Express and Bass Linear acoustic dampening materials. I trust several folks have tried some of these products.

Has anyone found them to alter the sound of the cornwall in any way?

How thick is the material you chose? There were several thicknesses to choose from.

Does anyone know if the Parts Express treated foam works better or worse than Bass Linear's "egg cartons"?

Thanks for any additional info. I need to make some choices right away and I value all of the info here?

The stuff from Parts Express is egg carton like as well. I used the 1 1/4" I think I did up some '86 Cornwall II's with it. It smooths out the bass response and keeps the cabinet from resonating. It does not alter the overall tone or timbre, just tightens the bass response some. It is not going to be much different from the original but the stuff will do a better job than what is currently in there.

Part Number 260-535

The Sonic Barrier 1-1/4" 3-layer composite damping material is a premium acoustic absorption and barrier material. It uses the three layers to achieve excellent reduction of sound energy from the inside of the enclosure to the cabinet walls. An exclusive embossed surface finish helps to trap the acoustic energy into a 1" acoustic foam where it is converted to low-level heat. A 1/4" foam layer covered with 1 lb. limp copolymer vinyl barrier separates the absorptive layer from the cabinet walls. A very aggressive pressure sensitive adhesive provides easy and permanent installation onto any surface.

The 1-1/4" overall thickness provides the maximum acoustic absorption properties for the highest performance. It is excellent for use in any loudspeaker cabinet, and is perfect for use in most ported systems. The 1" foam layer will act as a conventional high-performance acoustic foam, and effectively absorb reflections from inside the cabinet. This will result a cleaner midrange and midbass, and can increase apparent enclosure volume. At the same time, the heavyweight vinyl barrier and 1/4" isolation foam will prevent the acoustic energy from reaching and exciting the cabinet walls. This material presents an excellent opportunity to improve the performance of any high-end loudspeaker system. Sold in 18" x 24" Sheets. $21.63/sheet

Part Number 260-516

Specially designed, opened cell, flame retardant foam in a convoluted "egg crate" pattern. Helps to reduce muddy bass and cleans up the midrange by absorbing internal standing waves. Staple or glue to the top, bottom, sides and back of your speaker cabinet. You will be amazed at what acoustic foam can do for your sound system. Also ideal for small recording rooms and studios. Flame retardant in accordance with UL94. Sold individually in 24" x 18" pieces. Charcoal gray color.

Note: This item is shipped in its own separate carton, due to it's size and/or shape and requires additional handling charges NOT included in your online shipping estimate.

$4.25 per sheet

Somehow the first time I posted this, a good part of the information was missing. These are two of the options. I assume the bottom one is more like what you were talking about.

Flip,

Yeah, I saw that material. That was the high end stuff in a few different thicknesses. Looks like a high performer. I was looking at the 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 inch egg carton looking (less expensive) acoustic foam instead. Mainly for $$ reasons. But also because I am concerned I am going to dampen the corns too much. I suspect these materials all perform better than the 30 year old toilet paper that's in there now. So, unless I hear some stories about what actually works best, I'm going middle of the road, and 1 speaker at a time so I can hear the results. I don't even know if the damping I have today is what it sounded like originally, so the whole thing is really subjective anyhow.

But thanks for the info.