Into the deep with headphones

Erik,

If you're going to play Pat Metheny, it really doesn't matter what equipment you use, because he's always going to sound bad.

Can someone prefer the sound of weak, ineffectual amps? Obviously. (One guy likes them so much he pretends like he owns them!)

Can someone like everything he has ever heard, pat himself on the back for being an audio cosmopolitan? Again, obviously, yes.

Why do you continue to advance this silly strawman argument, that I somehow told you that you weren't permitted to listen to headphones while sitting next to your wife. Are you trying to get sympathy?

In a nutshell, if you find better bass in a pair of headphones than you do your Klipschorns, there is something wrong. I have already discussed the most obvious possibilities. If you insist on your right to get less satisfaction out of your Klipschorns than you could, that's up to you.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My system, or should I say, the one I used to own, demonstrated superior dynamic range. My friends that have heard it, have commented how much more 'alive' it sounded compared to their own systms. Some are VERY expensive. I have an expensive pair of headphones. There is no way I can enjoy listening to music with them on. The sound is shut-in, dry, lacking attack and atmosphere.

Some audio systems may sound like this. Perhaps the case may be, that those that own such audio systems, don't notice such a difference between their main system and their headphones. Therefore listening to headphones is not as traumatic to them it may be to others.

I have never owned a pair of headphones. Or a "Walkman." Or an "ipod." I have tried to listen but after about 5 minutes I have had enough. I think the sound waves have to hit you and bounce around the room a bit in order to sound real. At least that's true for me and my puny 30 watt amps.

Pat Metheny does NOT suck, by the way. His ealy LPs with Lyle Mays are excellent and "Song X" with Ornette Coleman is a GREAT record.

Actually, there are some very good headphones on the market. Mine cost $300. But some other cost MUCH more than that. I'd be interested in listening to some of those electrostatic models. I wonder if they may offer some of the 'air' missing from the usual dynamic type headphones.

I don't think your 30 watt amplifiers would be classified as puny Alan, depending on the loudspeaker they're matched to. With Klipschorns, I believe PWK suggested this would be an ideal power output to start with.

I agree about the need for the music to bounce around the room a little before reaching our ears. There are some headphone brands, though, that have attempted to recreate a room like feel when listening to them via the utilisation of DSP.

I listened to these at a show recently:

http://elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AKGK1000

These headphones are kept away from pressing on your ears at all. If you put these on, you look like a spaceman. Couldn't evaluate them properly because the headphone amp they were using to drive them was totally inadequate for the job.

Stax electrostatic headphones do sound good (for headphones), a whole different presentation than normal headphones. I don't know if they are too much of a good thing or not because I've auditioned them only at stores.

Paul:

"If you insist on your right to get less satisfaction out of your Klipschorns than you could, that's up to you."

They are a work in progress, Paul. I recently tried the Altec mid-horn Shawn sent me, and it is a beautiful sounding horn. So, I try things from time to time, but try to enjoy music more. Building different amplifiers is within my reach, and so I have the flexibility of altering that aspect of it if I want.

As for the quote above regarding my wish to enjoy my system in the way that works best for me, I would say "Yes, I would prefer to do that." Thanks for acknowledging the fact that it's my choice to do whatever I want with it, despite whether it's in agreement with your way of listening and thinking or not. Remember, what works best for you might not necessarily be the same for someone else. If making fun of the choices people make with music or playback equipment is as high on your agenda as it seems to be, may I submit that you could be getting more out of your Klipschorns as well.

Take care, Paul. I'm done!

Erik

Come on guys, tell the truth.

You all know that a blue car can't possibly handle or accelerate as well as a red one, don't you? Anyone that own's a blue car is simply showing their ignorance of performance to the rest of the world, not to mention their horrendous lack of taste or class. I don't know why they even make blue cars anymore. You'd think that once someone had ridden in a red car, they'd see the light and never be caught dead behind the wheel or a blue car again. Then again, there's just no accounting for some peoples taste.

Hey, buddy. How are you?

It's been boring without you. I've been razzing poor Alan Songer of late. You know the type of thing, I've been taking cheap shots, manipulating the truth, baiting, etc... The 'stuff' of the forum. Otherwise I've been pretty cool.

Keep coming back, buddy. I need a good laugh... 11.gif

----------------

On 5/25/2005 5:21:55 PM Parrot wrote:

Erik,

In a nutshell, if you find better bass in a pair of headphones than you do your Klipschorns, there is something wrong. I have already discussed the most obvious possibilities. If you insist on your right to get less satisfaction out of your Klipschorns than you could, that's up to you.

----------------

My, my. I would think even someone with a PhD in Trollology could grasp such a simple concept. Perhaps if you and little Eddy were not so preoccupied with giving one another verbal reach-arounds, you could find some time to educate yourselves.

- Ian