Now that my speakers are on the way - need help picking a receiver!!!

kenratboy

I have a pair of F3's, a C3, and B3's for the rears on the way as we speak (or type...or whatever we do here...) - so that is a constant (no longer a variable!)

My room is 13' X 13'6 X 9' and is 'sealed' (no openings, door closed when listening) - so VERY small.

Now for the easy part, I am either going to get a Denon 2805 or 3805. I sell them so I get them at a discount, not a whole lot of price difference, BUT THERE IS STILL SOME (less money on the receiver will go into a new TV, DVD player, etc.)

For these speakers, how much difference will the extra power make (100 vs. 120 watts)?

The 3805 has better DAC's and such - is this a big deal?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Again, spending more money is not better, if I can save a few hundred bucks, that will still go into the system.

The difference between 100 receiver watts and 120 wattsis usually inaudible. Better DACs can help. In your situation I would listen to the Pioneer 1014TX or 1015TX in addition to the Denons.

You need to determine the number and type of connections needed. Always plan on future additions so that you do not need to replace a receiver when the additions take place.

Bill

----------------

On 3/23/2005 10:27:45 PM DrWho wrote:

Get the SONY!
----------------

14.gif

Thats what I have now.

It has served me well, but its time has come to move on.

I am realizing more and more I an becomming a good little audio snob. I am noticing LITTLE things and being very picky 9.gif

I'm driving my Chorus II's with the HK7200 and it sounds incredible for both HT and music! Warm and solid thru every volume level. The 7200's have been discontinued and the 7300's have been out for a while now so you may be able to get a good price on those (I know you said you were looking at Denon but I'd recommend a "listen" if you get the chance....wow is it ever nice!)

RM1111:

Well, it would work for what I need it to do.

Tell me this: why would I pick the Harman Kardon over the Denon 3805? What does it give me?

Also, VERY important: will the subwoofers play in 2 CHANNEL mode, not just surround sound modes?

B&H Photo Video has it for $745 - they are a good company. Anyone else have it?

TELL ME! If it looks good, I will order it!

----------------

On 3/23/2005 10:31:53 PM kenratboy wrote:

I am realizing more and more I an becomming a good little audio snob. I am noticing LITTLE things and being very picky
9.gif

----------------

NO! I'M Picky!! 9.gif

I went through the same process last year when they hit the shelves. I went with the 2805. It comes with the set-up mic for free. I listened to both and could not perceive any difference on RF-7's. I thought the remote looked neat on the 3805, but found that my learning remote on the 2805 suits my needs just fine. The Denon link would be nice on the 3805, but I don't know if it is passing digital on SACD or not. I just bought some good cables from BlueJeans cables and use the analog transport for DVD-A and SACD. It's a lot of cabling, but the sound quality is very good. Since I was purchasing all my gear at once, the price diff on the 2 was going to be minimal, but I went with the 2805 and am very happy with it. IMO, the only drawback is one of "bragging rights" or "status" which was not important to me. If you get bit by the upgrade bug, or have that nagging feeling of "what if" when you make purchases, then I would suggest getting the 3805 now. If you are typically satisfied with what you buy and tend to not look over your shoulder at what else is out there, then I can unequivically recommend the 2805 as a happy/satisfied customer. (15x25 ft room - 8ft. ceiling - sound is more than enough to rock the house for HT or music). Really, you are in a win-win situation. Both are good choices and you can't go wrong either way. In fact, I bet the other choices that people mentioned are probably just as good, but you seem intent on sticking with Denon - as I was.

I am using a 2805 to drive my RF3II's, which I assume are not as hard to drive as the 7's, but for 2 channel music I sometimes think that maybe I would have been better served to get the extra 20 watts from the 3805. It just seems to be missing something on the low end. Personally, I think it would be hard to beat the 2805 in it's price range for home theater. In my opinion, this is where it really shines. The value for the number of featuers is hard to beat. It would appear that you are in a better position than the majority of us on here, in that you sell the two Denon models and get to listen to them all day. 2.gif

Hey Ken, the Woofs will play in two channel mode. The Denon and HK are both similar in sound, warm feel. I was looking at the Denon 3805 and the HK 630, but decided to buy the HK to save money, around $500. They both have set up mics. Also depends on what you are going to do with the recievers, more music than movies or vice versa. I think that the HK is a little more on the music side and it does fine for HT. You know what the Denons sound like because you sell them, the only recommendation is go out and listen to the HK's with your own ears and decide for yourself. I can't say which one is better, everybody has their own opinions and the amount money they can spend. Like my cousin who brought a sunfire ultimate reciever which is out of my league for now. LOL. Maybe try to find a store who sells HK that really has a good return policy or try both recievers at home and return the one you don't like.

Ken

I have lurked around here for 3 months. I searched harman kardon avr every night. The comments convinced me to buy the 525, especially from m00n. Purchased from harmanaudio.com (don't know how to add link) for $430 refurb.

They have a 630 available with 30 day return policy. The 525 is warm with my rf-7's & rc-7 I have had for 2 weeks. Makes me wonder about some comments that rf-7's are harsh on top end. Read on other boards. Anyway, I saw & bought an hk 7200 on audiogon last week for $640 just because I figured at $2000 list it must be better so I returned the 525. Both units have plenty of headroom and are very warm but the 7200 has more power. I won't buy another receiver but I may go seperates eventually. I am certainly no expert & if this post actually makes it to the right place it will be a minor miracle.

JT

Hmmmm, I also posted this question on HTF and people seem like they would go for the Harman Kardon.

$735 from Amazon. Free shipping and authorized dealer.

*$, I am almost tempted to order tonight.

I don't know, the Denon is nice (3805), but the remote kinda scares me, I need to buy the mic, there is a lot of extra stuff (3 zones, LOTS of analog I/O's, etc.) I am paying for.

Also, Harman (the parent company) has treated me very well.

I have a 630 in a 2nd setup,I prefer it over the 3805 I owned for music.The Denons are very reliable w/lots of features,the HK does music better and has lots of power,imo.The HK does do 2ch+sub.

----------------

On 3/26/2005 2:00:59 PM Fish wrote:

I have a 630 in a 2nd setup,I prefer it over the 3805 I owned for music.The Denons are very reliable w/lots of features,the HK does music better and has lots of power,imo.The HK does do 2ch+sub.
----------------

Hmmmm, I am really tempted.

I have been a good boy and been saving my nickels and dimes, so maybe I should go for it.