----------------

On 3/24/2005 4:58:06 PM Tom Adams wrote:

Damon....re-read the sign Roger posted. It said:

FREE BEER TOMORROW!

9.gif

Ah yes....alcohol and kareoke. What a marvelous combination.
15.gif

Tom

----------------

What? Why the sad face? I think it's great watching people with a little satan sauce in them trying to sing kareoke! 9.gif

I do get a lot of kidding about karaoke. People say, "Wow, you actually like that stuff Roger?" Where else can a guy sing all of his favorite tunes he grew up with or appreciates from the past to today? I sang in local bands in HS and college. Today at 43... to be in a smokey bar trying to make a living at singing is pretty unrealistic. Even at 20 something, it is. LOL. I have been very fortunant to win some local contests and a few national ones. I am not a "contest junkie" and going out for Karaoke about 1-2 times a month is ok with me.

But what about all that other times in between at home when I would love to sing? Thats why I am building the room. Besides the quality and background vocals on a lot of Karaoke CDG'S has come so far in the last 5 years you basically get a instrumental version of your favorite song... and THATS oh so cool.

I always said Karaoke is 85% just average people having fun. 10% should just go home... either off key or so into it, it is embarassing to themselves and everyone else. LOL And no,,,,, Alcohol does not help this group..LOL.

So that leaves us with 5% left... Of which 4% of that on any given night do a great job, people enjoy it, and it is cool. On that rare occasion a singer either nails it like the origional or changes style, performance, presentation, what ever you wanna call it... and you turn, look, and listen and go wow...he/ she nailed it. That was awesome. This happens maybe 1-3 times a night at best. LOL.

But you know, one of the things I really do like is just how Karaoke in front of an audience works. You get your name called... you perform most of the time to your best ability... and at the end, appreciative people clap for you ,too, with their own appreciation. I do not know about you, but I never (in my job) get that recognition. Through karaoke I have met some incredible singers and in general, nice people too.

It isn't for everyone. And that's ok too.

Roger,

You nailed it with your last post! I was kidding about the 'humane pairing' of alcohol/karaoke.

I love to sing as well and have 'done' karaoke, but I've never had the opportunity to sing karaoke through (what I consider) a decent system.

I have a hunch that your system is probably 'decent'. 9.gif

Forrest

At 46 (soon to be 47), I don't want to be singing in a smoky bar either.

Yeah Roger - I was just funnin' too. My comment about karaoke and alcohol was directed at those folks you mentioned that get so blasted that you feel embarassed for them.

There's a really decent karaoke place locally that prides itself on being a more family oriented place. Great sound system and equipment run by a husband & wife that both have great voices. It's a no smoking place even though they serves drinks. Never got the courage to get up there and probably never will even though I know in my heart I'm better than 85% of the folks that get up there and sing. So, I go there every once & a great while and just sit my chicken-as* self there and listen to others.

One thing I like about going there is hearing some guy knock it out the park and then put his cap back on so he can go back to work delivering for Domino's. Or hearing this voice that sounds like Aretha Franklin is in the house only to see some 12 year old white girl on stage. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about Roger. I call it the Gomer Pile phenomena.1.gif

Tom

One thing I like about going there is hearing some guy knock it out the park and then put his cap back on so he can go back to work delivering for Domino's.

-------------------------------------------------

There is a Army recuiter here in town.. Close your eyes...a lot of people come close...but he NAILS Frank Sinatra...I mean nails it.. but to look at him in military gear... just does not fit!

Or the big breasted female... you can't remember her tune...but she bounced up and down.. And you smiled too.

(sorry typical male gawking syndrome...)

And Thanks Craig. Sometimes for me it is more than Karaoke.. just hard to explain till you hear it live.