Auricaps in Heresy Xover?

milton10

A lot depends on what you want to do to the sound. I assume Zen caps are polypropylene and will give you an improvement over the 20+ year old caps you had in there.

If you want more detail, look at Hovland, to mellow it down a bit, but good detail (Jensen PIO's) are very good and then their are Auricaps, Thetas and Kimbers which all have good reviews. It just depends on what you want to spend.

Any of these will be an improvement over the old caps which are probably way out of speck by now. It is sort of like your favourite brand of scotch, subtle differences which the some appreciate more than others.

Don

The Zen's are certainly an improvement over the cans that were originally in the Heresy's. However, they still sound a bit ragged in the upper end. At times they begin to approach "detailed," but only from time to time. In fact, I used Solens for a short time, they sounded more neutral than the Zens, but tended to have lots of grain.

I am looking for something that will sound smooth, detailed with lack of grain. I heard that Auricaps will do just that. I really dont want to "tone them down," - just smooth out the upper end. I have considered Hovlands, but they are very pricey.

Any ideas?

Milton

Milton, I used Multicaps in my E-2 networks to good effect. Lately, I built a new pair if reinforce backs with L-pads for the squaker (16Ohm) and tweeter (8 Ohm), I can dial them right in now. It's a really inexpensive mod. about $30 worth of parts from Parts Express, a quarter sheet of MDF, plywood or flakeboard and a single 2x3 ripped in half or a couple of 2X2s

----------------

On 3/29/2005 3:57:49 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

oh 3d, I'd be interested in plans for those L-pad mods for Heresy please. I bought TBrennan's pair. They're still in Chicago, but I plan on having some fun with them when I get them back here.

Thanks,

Michael

----------------

Michael, Here is a link to my thread about this:

">http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=60671.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=60671&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={2700A4FA-943A-4431-86D6-CF595C424E3C}

Or search Heresy L-pads.

Rick

----------------

On 3/29/2005 10:40:03 AM DeanG wrote:

"I really dont want to "tone them down," - just smooth out the upper end."

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=307

----------------

Dean, what's your opinion on the Kimbers compared to these Thetas?