Prospective LaScala Purchase

Cornwalled

Hello Guys,

Was hoping for a little advice. I currently have 1981 Cornwalls as my mains, and some lousy JVC's as my rears. What I would like to do is either buy another set of Cornwalls for rears, or LaScalas for fronts and move existing C/Ws to rear duty.

I found a set of LaScalas in Jersey City (not that far from me) for $650. Good news: They're Raw Birch, unfinished, also 1981, so good voice matching. Bad news- they're kinda rough looking, have holes in back from hanging? Who would hang LaScalas? Those things are HUGE! And the kicker...Wrong woofers!7.gif I e-mailed him asking for pictures of the back (to see which mid driver/serial number, etc. That is when he told me about the JBL woofer. So I'd be out close to $300 for the K-33-Es. Depending on the model I could get some coin for the JBL woofers though. Maybe break even, or close. If they're D130s in there they'd sell fine.

What do you guys think? Are they worthwhile checking out, or should I say "nay" and wait for something else? What do you think they're worth? I missed the pic in first post, so I have em in next posts.

Thanks guys,

Jon

that's the pair i posted about sunday ,found them on craiglist, i e-mailed the seller and received a very short reply no pictures only that a woofer was a jbl. for 650 plus another 300 to get them operating right the woodworking involved transportation ,time etc. sounds and looks like somebody beat them in a club, i don't know. any way on the other side of the coin i'm from albrightsville by pocono raceway and you?

john

Hey, I bought a car about 6 months ago from a guy that lived just a mile or two from Pocono Raceway! I live in Shawnee, which is close to Stroudsburg, East Stroudsburg, Marshalls creek.

Do you have any Klipsch speakers? My Cornwalls are my only Klipsch, and the only ones I've ever had. Sold em a few years ago to a member of the forum, and was lucky enough to buy 'em back years later when I realized what I'd done! It's in another thread somewhere...good story.

Anyhoo, I'm taking this next pair seriously because the way I'd buy 'em is by selling a Gibson guitar that I really like, but just don't play much anymore, and it's worth about 700-800. So that's my Klipsch money, lol. No more.

-Jon

This one is tricky. I also saw the ad and contacted the seller. That is when I found out about the woofers that had been repaced with JBLs etc. The cabinets are a disaster and I am afraid that if the woofers were blown then the other drivers may have suffered similar abuse. The price is cheap however but it would require new woofers and rebuilding cabinets. I know I became leary at that point.

I'd pass, those are junk and were probably in a bar, hence the hanging mounts and replacement woofers.

Get another pair of Cornwalls, they'll fit your room better and there is nothing like being surrounded by those mighty beasts. I've got Private Ryan on right now and it's awesome!

Michael

Klipscaholik,

Sadly I am not in possession of that kind of woodworking skills, so I'd have to pay someone else, further increasing their cost. It sounds like in the long run it would be cheaper to go with another pair so I'll pass on these. Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll keep my eye out for Cornwalls or LaScalas. Would love K-horns, since I have perfect corners, but I don't have the budget.

I am amazed, there are no LaScalas or Cornwalls on ebay right now. There's usually a pair or two up. In fact there is very little Heritage up. Seems to go in spurts.

-Jon

i might grab these and restore the cabinets. i'm not too happy with the condition they're in from the looks of your pictures, but this is the first pair of la scalas i've ever seen near nyc. if i want to grab some shipped, it's going to cost me over a thousand.

hopefully the jbl drivers he used are halfway decent.

Jackbean- welcome to the forum! I see you just joined a week ago.

I love how the forum works together. The purchase of a set of Heritage speakers really gets everyone involved.

I'm just hoping someone gets 'em. I think I'm just gonna keep my eye out for a set of 70's to early 80's Cornwalls (with K-55-V and Type B network) to match my existing ones. After reading about the LaScalas' jagged bass response and rapid roll off below 50 Hz I became somewhat disenchanted with the design and question their significance somewhat (as well as their price)

-Jon

what the heck do you have to do to la scalas to blow out the woofers? hope no one was killed! the people that did that to those speakers should have to listen to lawrence welk records on my current stereo for eternity as punishment.

ok nothing could be that bad...

the cabinets are easy to fix if you ask me. it's all the important stuff inside that really matters.

better wait on less abused stuff.