Would anyone here be interested (recording experiment)

Griffinator

I had an epiphany of sorts two years ago at a Monacan pow-wow here locally.

The concept: a 5.1 live recording of the various native dances of a number of tribes - carefully choosing the more unique pieces by each representative tribe. The recording would involve overhead micing positions around the outside of the dance circles, with some close micing of the instrumentalists for impact. The ideal execution would essentially place the listener directly in the center of these circles.

I've approached several tribal councils, and they are all very high on the idea (of course, most of the proceeds would end up going to Indian organizations) and I'm still working with the Rockefeller foundation to get funding (I'm needing about $12,000 worth of specialized equipment I don't currently own to pull this off) but I haven't really tested the consumer waters (which, after all, would be primarily people like you who appreciate great audio works, not the average Joe Shmoe who listens strictly to country, rock, etc...)

What do you think? Would 45-60 minutes of this type of native music appeal to you? Or would it just bore you to tears?

I think that's a very cool idea. Be sure to stress the archival nature of the project as well. I had a teacher who made some good (grant) money transferring existing analog reels to CD for the Senecas.

I'd love to hear something like that, but I'm an archaic cultist with 2-ch only for the forseeable future.

very cool idea Griff. I used to do some location recording, it's very tricky, but can be rewarding. 5.1 would add significantly to the complexity of recording and mixing, but why not?

Check your local library or the tribal council to see if there are any old recordings of a similar nature, you might use these to 'drum' up interest in the need for newer recordings and/or the sales of your new project.

Michael

As one who sees Native American Culture being lost, along with Polynesian, Hawaii, I would be interested.

Not to start any flame, but there is much that is being lost - no-one transcribing or recording.

I was on the Big Island of Hawaii. Had to stop for gas, the attendant had a nametag "Sue," I asked if that was her true name. Her reply was no, the owner wanted to make things Mainland. I cannot remember but her true name was very beautiful.

I thought it odd that we go there for the culture and it's being lost in an attempt to meet our Mainland culture.

So, yes I would be interested.

dodger

----------------

On 3/29/2005 2:46:16 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

very cool idea Griff. I used to do some location recording, it's very tricky, but can be rewarding. 5.1 would add significantly to the complexity of recording and mixing, but why not?

Michael

----------------

Actually, the location part is probably the easiest to manage. The 5.1 mixing is going to be a serious challenge, but I've got plenty of advisory help there (friends at a number of surround studios down in N-Ville helps) so I feel like I'm up to the task.

I would be interested too - just make a 2 channel mix on the final disk please.

I was in Kenya a few years ago and witnessed various tribal dances of the Masai. If they had had a CD or a DVD for sale I would have bought immediately.

At least the Masai are managing to hold on to their identity and culture so there seems little chance of it disappearing immediately.

I had a friend of a friend from Zimbabwe invite me to stay for a time back in 94 or so. It's a major regret of mine that I didn't focus on making that happen.

Check out some Olatunji records, Max. Drums of Passion is pretty cool.

A new age artist my wife and I like is Douglas Spotted Eagle. Hand carved cedar flutes and percussion are the primary instruments.

Not sure how much is really authentic of his content.

I grow less enamored with 5.1 for music with each passing month. 2 channel would be fine for me.

Being the self appointed family music historian; I would buy it.

You could sell more as Redbook CDs most likley.