Klipschorn newbie

dpriebe

I have recently lucked out and been asked to permantently "store" a set of Klipshorns for my stepfather. They are downsizing their house and don't have anymore space. I am a total Klipschorn newbie and am trying to track down more information about this set. This particular set I believe was purchased in the 60s or early 70s. They are the basic finish, aka plywood painted black. I would like to dress them up a bit (and so would my wife!). The model # is KDFR. So any good links or other sources of info about them? I'm also looking for general directions on what type of amp to use with them. Not that I have much choice at the moment, a Dynaco 70, NAD 304 or some so-called high end Onkyo receiver.

Thanks, Dave

Serial # would give us the year of production (should have a letter mixed in with some numbers). Post some pictures if you can.

I'd start with the ST-70 (assuming it's in good working order). Big horns seem to like tubes. My guess is that would be the best amp of the 3 for these speakers but certainly try them all. Once you're ready, we're very good at spending other people's money.2.gif

Welcome to the forum.1.gif

Welcome to the forum! This is the best place to get info on the Klipschorn, I think.

Lucky you to be able to 'store' them! 9.gif

Use the search feature above and type in Khorn and start reading.

There are several fine craftsmen who frequent this forum, so you can get tips on fixing them up.

peace,

Forrest

Welcome to the Khorn fan club.

Khorns do do well with tubes, but if you're into solid state, take your time and swap around. Khorns vividly show up differences between receivers. On my '03's, Onkyo sounded thin, two older Pioneers sounded OK but a brand-new Pioneer Elite receiver sounded very thin, and I am currently very happy with a Harman-Kardon AVR-235.

Congratulations Dave!

The K-Horns are wonderful speakers and I am sure you will love them. Lots of folks will be giving you advice, may I take my turn now?

1. Regarding the amplifier: These speakers are very revealing, so if any of the components are noisy, this will be revealed by the K-Horns. That is both the good news and the bad news. The units are quite efficient so do not worry about getting a large amp. They do not require a great deal of power. In other words, it is difficult to run them up to a level where the system will be distorting (IMHO, that is a major difference between amps ...)

2. Placing the cabinets in the corners of the room is of the greatest importance. If your situation makes that difficult, then by all means take advantage of the various threads regarding "false corners" - there are a number of options. Again, putting them in corners will have the biggest impact (briefly: the corner of the room serves as the final flare of the cabinet and in turn, determines the response of the lower bass). The geometry of how the speakers & chair are positioned is, of coure, also critical for getting the proper sweet spot for listening. Personally I find the imaging on these to be a bit sensitive - but there is ample time to fool around and get it right.

Anyhow, those are my 2 cents worth. Once you have got them in the corners, let us know how you like them.

Enjoy!

-Tom

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 3/30/2005 3:18:16 PM michael hurd wrote:

K= Klipsch D=decorator F= fir plywood R=raw?

----------------

I have the same KDFR ...Raw is right in the real sense of the word !!!!! mine are black too and I have intentions of refinishing the fronts maybe paint maybe veener ...regards Tony C

Funny that you posted this message today. I just finished unloading my 62, I believe, KDFR's, 10 minuets ago, in the garage. Serial #'s 1732, 1733. They will need some cosmetic work. I will post pictures soon. I have several questions about these speakers. Looks like they have some extra cabinet work added to the back!!!!