Apollo 13 Anniversary Edition

Rick

----------------

On 3/30/2005 7:43:43 PM fletcherkane wrote:

Just saw the ad last nite on the tele. Haven't seen it in stores yet. Should be a great movie to have in the collection...Can you believe how much money we all wasted on VHS in the past?

----------------

How much money are we wasting on regular DVDs before we want to purchase the next generation DVD formats?!? I know I have a collection of more than 110 that, if I spent an average of $10 a DVD would be over $1000 invested!

I never got into buying many VHS cassettes but I do remember my wife bringing home Monsters Inc and thinking what a waste of money, she should have bought the DVD (even though we didn't have a DVD player at the time.) I am amazed at how quickly the price of DVD players came down, especially compared to how long VHS players stayed above $200. Any theories out there about this? Greater competition now? My imagination?

D

I picked it up Tuesday but havent had a chance to view it yet. DTS is on the IMAX version only.

Here is a quote I found interesting:

This 2-DVD set offers both the original edition of the movie and the IMAX version, which cuts down the film by 24 minutes (unfortunately, some character moments have been dropped and while that is a major issue, part of me did feel that this edition ran a little tighter) and has the aspect ratio of the film at 1.66:1, instead of the film's original 2.35:1 aspect ratio. "Apollo 13" was the first film to undergo this process. Others, including the "Matrix" movies and, more recently, "Robots", have also undergone this process. The technology has advanced so that, as far as I'm aware (when I saw "Matrix: Revolutions" and the third "Harry Potter", they were the full cuts), films no longer need to be recut to fit the IMAX reels, as "Apollo 13" was.

From the IMAX website:

"IMAX digital re-mastering starts by converting a 35mm frame into digital form at very high resolution, capturing all the detail from the original. Our proprietary software mathematically analyses and extracts the important image elements in each frame from the original grainy structure to create a pristine form of the original photography. This is the most complex step in IMAX digital re-mastering.

The image on a 35mm film frame is comprised of a fine grain structure like that of all photographic images. This grain when projected on to the IMAX screen looks like a TV channel that isn't quite tuned to the station. Removing this grain while preserving the quality of the underlying image is the basis of IMAX DMR.

To create the brightness and clarity that audiences have come to expect from The IMAX Experience®, IMAX uses a proprietary computer program to make the images sharper than they were originally, while colors are adjusted for the unique technically superior characteristics of the IMAX screen. The completed re-mastered film is then transferred onto the world's largest film format, 15-perforations 70mm."

The DVD

VIDEO: The film is presented in two different aspect ratios on this release. The theatrical version, included on the first disc, is presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen. The IMAX edition, available on the second disc, is offered in 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen. The theatrical version of the film looks terrific, as it has been given a new transfer. The IMAX version, with the digital remastering done for the format, looks spectacular. Sharpness and detail are excellent on both versions, although the IMAX version has a really nice level of depth to the image.

Both presentations suffer from very few flaws. Both editions do show some mild edge enhancement in a few scenes, but I didn't find this to be particularly irritating. Both editions showed no pixelation and only a couple very tiny instances of print flaws. Colors were bright and well-saturated, with no smearing or other faults. Black level looked solid, while flesh tones appeared accurate.

Thanks for the great info! I am very disappointed that they would cut 24 minutes off the IMAX version of the film OR at least offer DTS sound on the original. I have had the DD original version for a long time and have wanted to get the DTS version for awhile. But I will go buy the new set this weekend anyhow.

I still think the original dts version is worth picking up. The dts on this new edition is definitely not going to be at the same bitrate (1509 Kb) as the original, plus you have butchered content and aspect ratio.

I won't be picking this one up, I'll be sticking to my old dts version.

Yeah, it was on the cable here in ORD land last night and I just caught the end. I saw it in the theater. People laughed at the slide rule scene, right on cue.

What a wonderful, feel-good movie. There is drama all the way through even though we know the ending. Oppie Taylor did well.

The "engineering as the forgotten profession" people point out that just about everyone in the film, particularly the people on the the ground (except the family members) had an engineering degree. I suppose it is a profession for those without the personality to be an accountant. Smile.

Let me use that as a segue to suggest renting, "The Dish", with Sam Neil. It is about the radio telescope in Australia used to pick up transmissions from the moon. Funny and warm. To my knowledge, the only studio movie about the people on the ground who never got any lime light but were part of the team.

Best,

Gil

P.S. edit: How much money did we waste on LPs before CD. Echh, it wasn't a waste entirely because the LP crowd loves them still.

I saw a $35 DVD player in the newspaper. One issue may be that the VCR had a complex mechanical system. The real answer is that all this optical disk technology is used in CD-ROM for computers and CD audio. A given family probably has bought 10 optical disk units of one type or the other in the last five years. They probably only bought one or two VCR.