Klipsch RF7

Scorpio007

Bill sent me the plots from the two published reviews. Not pretty. I entertained the thought of a typo in the S&V review, but the text corresponds to the graph, and of course, the published graph from the other magazine is near the same.

IMO the low impedance of the woofer section is a design effort for the woofers to keep up with the horn. The Reference flagship deserves good amplification.

The RF-7s have responded very well to amps that drive the low impedances with ease. I can easily hear the differences between kettle drums, kick drums and other percussion instruments. With receiver amps, the bass tended to be one muddy note.

Bill

Thanks for the helpful links DeanG!

DeanG, no need to get sensitive about my comments on the RF-7. I hear you do great work and quality crossovers. Im just saying the RF-7s do very well on its own. Im running an excellent audio equipment with my RF-7s and its very smooth and very exceptional performance. I feel I do not need anymore than what I get. If one feels differently, I would say by all means, go for it. RF-7s can have quite different sound/responses by what components you choose. In my case I have no need to want to touch the crossovers. I get no shrill, no harsh, nothing like some post claim, not even slightly but Im sure it has very much to do with components used. Mine are like a very smoooooth fine whiskey.

I think its great that you do crossovers for those who want to improve their sound.

Have I doing something wrong? Perhaps not asking at first if DeanG is willing to do crossower modification? All my answers in forum here and pm-s remained unanswered?! However, thanks for all comments about RF7, I will post my impressions after they are at least fifty hours "old"

Actually Jerry, I did PM you back, I just figured you were ignoring me. :)

As far as our Swede friend goes, I'll get a proper response out by the end of day.

There is no "Jubilee" without the "Klipsch" horn. However, I believe one can get very close, and if money is not a point of concern -- can easily surpass it's performance. Speaking of money, any future project of mine in this area hinges upon selling my Klipschorns, and I don't foresee anyone ponying up the dough for them, especially now that I've sold off the networks and drivers! So by default, I'm doing what I swore I'd never do, and that is to modify the Klipschorns. I've just about decided that the Jubilee, like every other speaker -- is a design with compromise. I believe anyone building these up as a two-ways will end up wanting to add a good tweeter later. Modifying the Klipschorns is not only more practical, but will probably spare me the agony of sitting in front of an expensive two-way, and realizing that I miss that last 2000cps of top end.

Dean, I did want to respond to you on the crossover mod. I'm not saying that if a you want to put a tiny dip in the speaker response level, it is bad. But for anyone starting out, I can't see them spending money on changing the RF-7. I would, if I lived by you, probably go after a much bigger mod and really drop the horns back quite a bit. Then I would have you offer that mod to everyone. But, that is my preference. I'm not saying your mod is as worthless as high end speaker wire! I would just prefer a larger change....

You also have a post to answer under the RF-7 bi-amping thread. See if you can help this guy out without his having to spend any real money.......

DeanG, I think you have a problem with PM? You never answered mine so I just gave up. Don't know if the problem is on the forum side or yours but that sure be not good for you! I was even thinking about making the drive to pick the Klipschorn's up from you!

Well, I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again -- Dean, I think you have flipped out!

Mabye all this audio is sending you crazy but why you would do such a thing to a new pair

of Klipschorn's is koo-koo. Not keeping the Klipschorn's all Klipsch has lost any future investment or re-sale value. I'm getting very concerned about you Dean!!

The Private Messaging System software is awful, and most are aware of it.

I did get a PM from you asking how much it would cost to ship to California, I replied that it probably wasn't cost prohibitive, but that I didn't think the original shipping cartons supplied enough protection for a trip across the country using a shipping agent like Forward Air.

For what's it's worth, I'm sending you a PM.