Cornwalls Banished .. !

Feelin the same way about the valencia 846 that i have. Great for HT. Room seems too small for big ol' horns for 2C, though. Getting ready to rotate the Allisons back in. Or maybe the JBLs. I tried to make them at home but I just don't have the space they need to breathe. They are Voice of the Theater, after all. And my room ain't no theater.

I burned some time at B&N recently and gandered at all the latest hi-fi-HT pubs. Editing is constantly slanted toward the bigger, flatter screens and the smaller speakers. I kinda feel like my Altecs are Humm-Vs in a Mini Cooper world.

----------------

On 4/1/2005 7:50:25 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

but at 10', that mid horn was killin' my ears ..
8.gif

----------------

I've never had that issue with the CW's ... but I've run tubes into them almost exclusively. You may be hearing distortion from your amps, although from your sig I'm not sure what you're listening to :)

----------------

On 4/1/2005 7:50:25 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

..."but at 10', that mid horn was killin' my ears..."
8.gif

----------------

I know how you feel. My tiny room was preventing my Cornwalls from sounding as great as they should, even with my 300B SET! In order to have them breath, I'll have to relocate my entire system to a much larger room, which isn't in the cards yet. So I purchased a pair of Athena Technologies Audition AS-F2 2-way towers (no more horns dammit), which have better imaging and soundstage in this small room, and put the Cornwalls in protective storage for the time being. As soon as I can relocate my system to our much larger formal livingroom, then my Cornwalls will play forth such beautiful music once again into a room worthy of their excellence!16.gif

That could be very true, since my crossovers are the originals. Regardless, my music room is a tiny spare bedroom, and no matter what amplification I used or how I positioned my Cornwalls, the horns did 'em in everytime. What I really need are a pair of RB-75 bookshelf speakers on tall stands with a high quality sub for this room, but I didn't have over $1400 to play with. So I settled on the Athena towers at a discounted $400!

i must have a different pair of cornwalls or something my room is only 12 x 12, and i set less than 10 feet between the corns, and la scalas, and have had absolutely no problem, with either speaker, sound is huge of course, but also very open and beleive it or not sound stage can be amazeing, i can set back close the eyes and get the seperation of the instruments even to the extent of drum solos each hit of the drums seems to be seperate, just awsome, i have been using mostly ss amps and tube pre-amp, but when i used a ss pre the only harshness was with certain cd's10.gif Joe

----------------

On 4/1/2005 8:17:42 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

I burned some time at B&N recently and gandered at all the latest hi-fi-HT pubs. Editing is constantly slanted toward the bigger, flatter screens and the smaller speakers. I kinda feel like my Altecs are Humm-Vs in a Mini Cooper world.
----------------

You mean Humm-Vs in a Ford Festiva world?