Jensen reproduction Alnico vs. ferrite woofers?

codhead

They would probably be a decent replacement for the original 12" Jensen but they are the same price as what Klipsch charges for a replacement 15".

The question then boils down to whether Alnico magnet woofers offer any sonic benefit over Ceramic magnet woofers. I won't comment as I have no basis for comparison.

At the price they would likely be an alternative choice should the replacement woofer be unavailable from Klipsch or should one be curious enough to wish to compare a ceramic magnet woofer against an Alnico magnet woofer.

What the heck...

I know this thread regarding things Alnico has been going on for awhile, but may I suggest that you focus on the TOTAL response of the driver rather then upon one particular aspect of the driver...

Unless the novely of a particular material has some intrinsic attraction for someone, this is like an argument regarding which color pf car goes the fastest. And of course the obvious answer to that is black, with deep metallic maroon or blue coming in a close second.

The magnet material is only one component in a total system, and if properly designed (and assuming that none of the parts/materials are defective or exposed to environments/uses for which they were not intended) should not be the determining factor. So may I simply suggest that 'you' may be missing the point if you do not focus at the total driver response rather than at a single component employed to achieve that response...

That being said, I bought MY amplifier because it had lots of those resistor thingies with lots of blue rings, and I know for a fact that the blue rings make them go faster, but that's another thread!

OK, you guys can go back to the debate now9.gif11.gif12.gif