Talk me out of the Harman Kardon 635:

kenratboy

I am ready to go. Amazon has it for $700 (what I pay).

Anything to reconsider on?

Denon 3805 will cost me the same (Pioneer is out because the lack of inputs).

The reason I am leaning towards the HK is because of the (what you guys have told me) excellent sound quality and great match with Klipsch. I don't need all the advanced HT stuff the Denon has, just the basics.

Both seem like good choices. I'm not sure if you're looking just for 7.1 receivers (it looks like you have five speakers, are you getting two more?) If 5.1 is good enough for you, i'd consider the HK AVR 8000-Z, which will give you quite a bit more power than the AVR 635:

http://www.harmanaudiooutlet.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=AVR%208000-Z&status=

That receiver is refurbished but the sale price is significantly lower than the MSRP, plus you're getting it directly from Harmon Kardon. Also if you ever want to go 7.1 you can hook up a 2-channel amp to the receiver.

I am happy with my Denon 3805. There are alot of bells and whistles though. I like being able to use 2 sets of side surrounds (A, for music both for movies). I saw an option off a link from the AVS forum where you can BI-amp your front speakers using the rear surround channels, from the "Zone 2" mode. If you are interested I will try and find that link.

The H/K's strength is its amp section. The Denon's strength is a better pre-amp section.

In recent years there have been issues with H/K receivers. The X35 series is supposed to fix all of the bugs. I would ask this question on AVS and other forums where there is more experience with the 635.

Bill

----------------

On 4/3/2005 9:36:16 AM tkdamerica wrote:

I saw an option off a link from the AVS forum where you can BI-amp your front speakers using the rear surround channels, from the "Zone 2" mode. If you are interested I will try and find that link.

----------------

that's really tough to utilize as you must change the Zone2 volume EVERY TIME you change the Zone1 volume in that configuration. 14.gif too bad you can't link the Zone2 volume control to the regular one, or i'd probably be doing it. 7.gif all you can do is set Zone2 to a fixed volume or control it completely separately; not together with Zone1. 8.gif

correct me if i'm wrong, please, but that's how my 3803 works, anyway.

Here is that link.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR3805_review04.php

sivadselim,

How about if you connect it to "Zone 3?" It says in the above link:

"The ZONE 3 volume will adjust ONLY the level to the LOW FREQUENCY part of the speaker, whereas the MASTER VOLUME (main zone) will control ALL channels INCLUDING the LOW FREQUENCY part of the speaker. Therefore the ZONE 3 Volume, step number 9 in the list above, actually adjusts the RATIO of Lows to Highs in the speaker."

hmmmmm. this is interesting, tkdamerica.

omg, i now understand what allows this configuration to work properly. i always thought when this proceedure was described by people, that you were just supposed to use the same source for Zone2 (or Zone3; doesn't matter) as was being used for Zone1, therefore creating not just a linked volume problem but also requiring that you change the Zone2 source each time a different input source is chosen .

DOH! sheesh, i feel really, really dumb. 2.gif

it's not the Zone that's important, it's actually, and most importantly, step #1 (and #8) that allows it to work correctly; LOOPING THE FRONT PRE_AMP LEVEL OUTPUTS TO AN UNUSED INPUT ON THE RECEIVER AND THEN ASSIGNING THAT INPUT TO ZONE 2 (or ZONE 3)! they're recommending Zone3 on the 3805 because it will still allow you to use an independently volume-controlled Zone2, provided external amplification is used.

per the weblink:

1. Connect a SHORT stereo cable pair from PRE OUT LEFT & RIGHT and run it into the Red and White jacks labeled VDP .

8. Select VDP as the SOURCE for Zone 3. This is done by pressing the letters VDP which are directly under the CD indication, NOT the VDP which is directly under the MD indication. Note that this step is what causes the "ZONE 3" to always play the VDP input, which is in turn, the signal from the Left and Right FRONT PRE OUTS of the main zone. Voila!

3.gif

thanks a bundle for the clarification! i've even asked this question in forums where bi-amping denons was being discussed, and NO ONE EVER STRAIGHTENED ME OUT ON THIS very important step. how i missed this, i don't know

SHHH! don't tell anyone i brain-farted this. 9.gif

as i don't use those extra amps in my setup (does the 3803 have the extra amps, too?) you betcha i'm going to try this tonight!

10.gif

Ken,if you can get a 635 for $700 total I don't know why anyone would talk you out of it.But,if you can get a 3805 for $700 thats a sweet deal too.The 3805 is a rock solid avr for that price and has features galore.On the other hand the HK is built better where it counts,has what sounds to me atleast as much or more/better power than 3802/03/05 and improved musicality.I sold my 3803,bought a 3805,took it back and decided to move to seperates in my main room.I sold my very dependable 3802 and bought a HK 630(software version II,Dolby pl2x)for a 2nd set up and have never regreted it.

My HK7200 isn't the nicest looking receiver in the world either but I got over it in about a nanosecond once I hit the "power on" button!

In case you don't have any experience with J&R, I purchased my new HK7200 thru them for a great price of $899. and they were very nice and it arrived when they said it would. I think they are a reputable dealer!

My two cents.....

Let us know how you like it. Especially the amp section.

I'm considering it's (much) smaller bro, the AVR 235, to replace my decidedly very, very, very lo-budget Sony receiver. It's a little on the dull and restrained side, and I know the Synergies can do better -- they were powered by my dyna stereo 70 for the longest time before moving to HT duty. The Dyna moved 'em so well I was kinda heartbroken when I heared 'em on the Sony.