What Firewall software do you use?

jacksonbart

My annual subscription to McAfee is up and I am wondering if there is something else better out there. I run Windows XP and have a 3.2 GHz Dell XPS and use a cable modem. Any input or personal experiences would be appreciated, aside from switching to an Apple product. I have not had a problem with McAfee, just wonder if there is something better out there.

Thanks in advance

If you really want something better, get a router with a built in firewall. Much better than software firewalls, as any incoming traffic is blocked at the router before it even reached your PC. Occasionally one can score a Belkin after rebates for about $20. Full price on a Linksys would be around $50.

It it a lot different than a software firewall, as it is not application based. In the router's setup, you have to allow port ranges by TCP & UDP. For example, if you wanted to setup an FTP server, you would open port 21 for TCP.

As an added benefit, routers generally come with a built in switch. Makes it easy to hook up another computer in the home with networking ability & internet access.

If this is more than you're looking to deal with, I'd stick with McAfee. It's a pretty good software firewall.

There's a Belkin router with 4-port switch and 802.11g wireless capability for $10 after rebate at Best Buy starting today...

Another small benefit of using a router between your PC and your cable modem is that your PC no longer has a public IP address that is directly addressable from the Internet. Not truly security, but every little bit helps.

I would definately employ a layered approach utilizing both the hardware based firewall as well as a local software based firewall.

Routers are not that difficult to circumvent.

And I personally prefer ZoneAlarm Pro for the desktop.

ESPECIALLY if you are using any form of wireless prior to the new 802.11i-AES security standard that supercedes both the broken WEP and Wi-FI that utilize the fundamentally flawed RC4 cypher primative.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would definately employ a layered approach

utilizing both the hardware based firewall as well as a local software

based firewall.

Routers are not that difficult to circumvent.

And I personally prefer ZoneAlarm Pro for the desktop.

ESPECIALLY

if you are using any form of wireless prior to the new 802.11i-AES

security standard that supercedes both the broken WEP and Wi-FI that

utilize the fundamentally flawed RC4 cypher primative.

I agree with dragonfyr. I myself also use the layered security

approach. I have a Netgear WGT624 for my Wireless home network, It has

WPA-SK encryption and Stateful Packet Inspection (which I think is

truely a must in todays routers). Although I'm not familiar with the

AES wireless security standard. Could you be more specific dragonfyr on

what that is/does? Thanks.

I personally use Sygate Personal firewall, I also recommend ZoneAlarm

Pro, but it didn't play well with my Anti-virus so I had to find

another solution. (I'm using NOD32 Anti-virus BTW).

Also, I have every computer on the network communicating in IPX/SPX

protocal instead of TCP/IP so computers outside of the network can't

"listen" in on the conversations between the home PCs.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the router firewall on my netgear as first line of defense, then I default my desktop as dmz I have avg free edition anti virus, I disabled the mircosoft firewall, I use tiny firewall (a free firewall that does not bother me every second! and uses very little memory) Also all the free anti spyware programs and mozilla.