RF-7 vs. RB-75

pyroponic

pyroponic,

Now you know why in one of your previous threads I asked why you didn't choose the RF-7's right off the bat.2.gif

I will stick up for the RB-75's though. I have a pair I am using in my bedroom and they sound great! I also have a pair that I am using as rear surrounds (the jury is still out if THAT was money well spent;-)

The question to ask is, what BOOKSHELF speakers stand up to the RB-75's? Sometime this week I am going to the High $$$$ stores and listen to the KEF's and Def Tech's Bookshelf Speakers to see how they stack up. I also am going to A/B the RB-75's and the RB-35's to see how they compare to each other.

Congratulations on the upgrade.

Another bonus is I prefer the sound of the RB-75 in the surround over Klipsch's WDST speakers. tkdamerica, how do you positions yours? I like a couple feet back behind the listening area angled towards the listener, not directly at them (firing slightly behind the head).

pyroponic writes: "tkdamerica, how do you positions yours? I like a couple feet back behind the listening area angled towards the listener, not directly at them (firing slightly behind the head)."

That is how multichannel folks say you are supposed to do it.

However, in my room I use RF-3 towers for surround duty on music. They are positioned 10 in off the floor (to keep tweeters at ear level and the same height as my RF-7's) directly to each side (90 degrees) of my seated position.

I then have the RB-75's as my rear surrounds (not in use for SACD/DVD-A) laying on their side with the horns angled slightly toward my ears. PICS on page 20 of "show me" thread.

the RB-75's are great speakers...

but the WDST design of many klipsch surround models do work very well in certain room situations....

addtionally - if your room does not allow a 7.1 setup, a pair of WDST speakers can actually sound better than using traditional bookshelf speakers for the surrounds...

1.gif

I have RB-75's in my Bedroom paired with RS-3's as surrounds. I am real pleased with the sound. The WDST's are on the side walls, in the corner, facing the head of the bed.

For watching movies in bed, this set up is perfect. For SACDS/DVD-A's which we listen to while we are moving about doing chores. We are on the other end of the room where one, of each of the RS-3's horns are pointed in our direction. Elton Rocks during laundry10.gif

A good sonic situation in THIS 5.1 set up, and where a WDST speaker works better.

I am still trying to work my pair of RB-5's in there though2.gif