Mac 1900 with Heritage...HELP!

I have read the items off a search but want some more. Can you share with me your experiences with the Mac (Mcintosh) 1900 and Klipsch Heritage please?

I have Heresys and am re-building some KHorns (AK-4) and will have a Mac 1900 to power either the KHorns or the Heresys.

Since it may be a while until I can hear these KHorns sing with their McIntosh powered voice, I would love to hear any experiences you could share to get me through the wait!

If anyone has any other sites that may have info on this as well, I would appreciate it too!

(audiokharma, roger-russell checked too)

Thanks in advance.

Kits arrived, waiting for K-401 composite horns and that little rubber gasket...new woofers and bass bin doors are wired and installed...KHorn cabinets have been sanded and refinished and look as good as I can make them (I imagine whatever flaws are still present will disappear when they sing!) look...soon, very soon.

Thanks for all the help getting here!

Bill

The one I have has a volume tracking problem. On / Off / Volume all on one shaft.

It does not even out until abouy 0930 or 1000 hours position. But I can use the balance control to make it even.

With Cornwalls and Cornwall IIs it sounded very nice.

A number of times some do not like to state flaws in equipment choices, a natural thing. Or since they already figure that you are a friend of someone that powerful have decided to make it a point to ignore, you will get ignored also.

In those cases, they are much more transparent than they think.

In others you have the true listener that is not quite sure so they don't post.

dodger3.gif12.gif

I appreciate the responses from those of you that did...I guess I am being a bit whiney and just "Jonesin'" to hear this combination...I am still waiting on parts for my cornerhorns as well as the Mac 1900...I just wanted something to "get me over the hump" so thanks to those of you that responded.

I am not asking if Klipsch and McIntosh go well together or if either KHorns or Mac 1900 are good choices...these things I already know but in doing searches I have read where some of you actually have these and some have this combo, I was looking for any info or if they might be able to point me to any other places to hold me until I can get this "classic combo" to my place and up and running.

Thanks,

Bill

I currently use a 1900 with my '77 Khorns. I found it cosmetically perfect (a little dusty) but mechanically ka-put in a thrift store for a few bucks. I sent it off to Terry DeWick who got it back up to spec in a short time. It sounds VERY good, although I still have a bit of a problem with the volume control as well. At very low volumes, one or the other channel cuts out. I'd imagine with less efficient speakers this may not be a problem, but with the Klipschorns, it is. I keep meaning to give Terry a call. Perhaps some cleaning may solve it (although it's a brand new control).

Typical problem with a volume control in the 1900, the original gets worn out faster at the low volume end because it is also the on/off control and gets more use than a dedicated control. Sorry to say the replacement control from McIntosh has a bit of mechanical slop that causes tracking problems at very low volumes, and the efficiency of the Khorn puts the control at the low end where the problem shows up - wish I has an easy quick fix.

Terry! I forgot you were a member here now! Do you think cleaning may be in order (a squirt of contact cleaner), or do I just have to live with it? (You can PM or email me if you want)

You did a great job, BTW!!

The Mac 1900 is a nice unit and a good match for Heritage. There are a few things I wish were different, though.

One is mentioned above - the volume control - a problem the 1900 shares with other Mac gear of the time, like the tuner preamps and the 6100. The idea was that the amp would last longer if it didn't come on at a high power level. The down side of this is the controls tend to stop "tracking" well and you'll find one channel or other being louder at various volume settings. This is most noticeable in the lower settings - right where you'll be using the 1900 with Klipsch speakers most of the time. When I had my 1900, the volume control was not available, but I guess they can be had now.

The second problem may not be much of an issue, but I did miss not having a dedicated line level input. One of the tape loops worked fine for the cd player, but I would have liked an "aux" input there too.

Finally, those meters are really bright! I got as far as going to theatrical supply house and got a lighting gel swatch book so I could put something in front of the lamps to tone them down a bit, but I never got around to it.

Anyway, the 1900 is a fine unit, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.