Music versus HT Sub?

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 4/13/2005 2:29:38 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Scp53 -

Hav you ever heard the RSW15? It rated at 19hz at -3Hz, I have heard it rolls off quickly at 20Hz, which one reason it has such high clean output. I have seen the rating of 30hz at 130dbs. I can't say for sure, but I have measured the c weighted output at over 100 dbs, but perhaps your right it, rolls off at 25hz, certainly does not feel that way. Again would like to hear from someone who has heard the RSW15 amongst other subs.

THX

----------------

It rolls off well above 20. Nousaine measured the RSW-15 25 to 62 Hz average with 10% thd limit to be 112 dB (I'm assuming uncorrected). It's measurement at 20 Hz was 97 dB...a very substantial drop.

It's a great sub with great output and clarity, but it wasn't designed for extension. From my listening experience...in a large room, below 20 Hz the RSW-15 was audibly near lifeless.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you, after all of your input and some further research I finally pulled the trigger on a HSU VTF-3 MK 2. I think for the money ($600 shipped, < 6 months old, full transferable warranty) this fits the bill of being the top music and ht performer! I am excited. (Anyone want a KSW-10?) The only upgrade I see in the future is an RC-7. (Would love an all Heresy 5.1 system, but don't have the room.)

For those of you not familiar with this sub, read about it's capabilities to easily change between music and ht modes, if desired. I have a feeling with my untrained ear it won't matter. Since there are No NHL playoffs this year I will have time to tinker. Besides ht and music, it would have been also great to hear some bodies slamming into the glass with this sub!

What do you think, did I utilize some of this thread's input?

I big advantage of the Hsu, SVS, (and Outlaw too I believe), is thet fact that you get much more for your money. They are direct marketed over the web, so they avoid middle man markup.

I had a very intersting discussion with some friends at Velodyne, at I think we will see some forthcoming business model changes and perhaps some acquisitions in the future. Of course nothing that was said was to be repeated and of course I would never divulge too much, but suffice it to say that the future will continue to feature evolving business and distribution models.

Enough of what I can tantalize you with here. Any further curiousity would have to be done off the record in private posts......hint hint...

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 4/15/2005 2:13:40 AM dragonfyr wrote:

You'll be very pleased with the Hsu
----------------

Hopefully I didn't over do it.

I likely could have gotten great results with a 10" model and not having the VFT (Variable Frequency Tuning) feature, but I think it will be a keeper for a long time like my Heresy(s).

Don't worry!

I wonder about those who say they have "too much sub"9.gif

Actually, you can always turn down the gain, but if it's "too small" it is hard to turn it up! The trick is to tune it so that it matches the gain structure of the rest of your system, and at first this usually seems too low, as everyone expects fireworks. But it will be there when necessary!

Its a very good unit! In my humble opinion among ther commercial units, it is the Hsu, then the SVS Ultra and then the Velodyne HGS18/DD18 - in order of increasing price and absurdity. 9.gif (yes I know there are plenty of others!, but if I don't build, these are what I would buy.)

ENJOY!!!!!!!

By the way, PartsExpress has their 13ft subwoofer Y cable on sale (part#186-300 for 4.86. Buy 10 or 20 at that price!)

I went through the same dilemma of uprgrading a sub on a budget less than a year ago, except I was getting rid of my Pardigm PS-1000 which I found significantly better than the KSW 10 and 12.

My budget goal was around $400US. Many people suggested I just do it right and save up for the big boys RSW-15 or SVS-PB Ulta 12 or both. Well thats still on my list and i think I did very well at finding a good value sub that is definetly getting me through. I bought a Velodyne CHT-15 on Ebay for $400 even and it does very well, especially at the low end. Just another sub to consider. I did some auditioning and I found it to be better than the RW-12 but not as good as the RSW-15

Before I got my Dayton Titanic, I had the HSU VTF-2. It went at least as deep as the Titanic, and it would shake the room quite well. It would do a very good job as an HT sub (which it's doing now at my friends' house). But I found it to be slightly boomy... and not quite there sonically. Hopefully that problem was isolated to the VTF-2, my room, or that particular sub... because for me, there was absolutely no comparison between the VTF-2 and the Titanic.