Vintage turntables

bitece

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point was that you COULD get a current table with new cartridge that is equal to or better then 'vintage', without the additional setup or reconditioning (all additional charges unless you have the knowledge, alignment protractors, etc. to do this)that might very well accompany the vintage turntable.

By buying the new table you could conceivably save more money then buying the older table. As for instance, updating the older Rega 3 to the current Planar3, addressing many issues that Rega identifies, will cost an additional $300, and there would still be the additional setup (unless you have the tools and the knowledge) as well as a new cartridge (and I haven't heard anyone pushing any of the discount cartridges!) that would bring the total price ABOVE the MH. All in all, I am simply suggesting a quality turntable that would provide the best bang for the buck. It is not the only one available, but it was a reasoned suggestion...Unlike the hystrionics of some of the responses to this.

As regards to the reviews of the turntable, you are welcome to search out the Sterophile reviews yourself as you are the one so concerned! You know, the folks who sit around and listen to $1500 per meter interconnects who are the ones who have been drooling over the MHs and placing the in their select equipment lists.

Personally I don't really care about their reviews. This was my opinion of a 'best buy' turntable that offered the biggest return for the investment to listen to vintage records.

The difference between what so many here want to do and what I would have done is that I would have purchased it and been listening and enjoying the TT for several weeks before you guys finished debating which wire was necessary for retrofitting the arm and cartridge! Or which cartridge to buy, or where can you find an alignment protractor, or a mass guage, or what brand of $300 record clamp was necessary to make the TT sound worth a damn.

And I would have done it without the drama and angst so many seem to possess here.

And just because I realish the entertainment value of mentioning this, after all is said and done, I would probably just go out and sit in my fantasy Porsche GTs and listen to the radio and luxuriate in the aroma of the leather seats - imagining how fast it could go and how it would kick the @ss of YOUR fantasy car if I cared enough to turn the Damned thing on! 9.gif9.gif9.gif

Addendum: Here is some info regarding the fine print re: Rega upgrades that may or may not be of interest.

"Colored plinths for the Rega Planar 3 2000 turntable are available for a $45 extra charge. Traded in Planar 3 turntables and Planet CD players must have factory box and packaging, no modifications (i.e. no re-wired arms, spliced in phono leads, re-painted plinths etc. etc.), and be in very good or better condition (i.e. working properly with only typical wear and tear). For those who are missing parts, or all of their original factory packaging for your Planar 3 turntable or Planet CD player, we can furnish new replacement packaging for a additional $25 charge. Older Planar 3s (which are those that are more than 10 years old with RB-300 arm and the black brushed aluminum type looking plinth) are not worth as much as the latter Planar 3s (which have the black laminate type plinth), so the trade up cost is $50 higher for those older tables. Original Planar 3s (those real ol' buggers with the S shaped tonearm) do not qualify for this upgrade program. While we don't expect your Planar 3 to be in as new condition, please notify us in advance of any cosmetic or physical damage to the table. While minor things like a rubbing pulley or a loose belt are OK and easy for us to fix, a significant scratch (for example) in the plinth is a item which we cannot really repair and will impact the resale value and the trade in value of your table."

Come to think of it, if the new flourescent colored Regas florence inder black light, it might be worth it to have one of the lime green tables! A truly serious acoustical consideration!

----------------

On 4/22/2005 11:03:08 PM dragonfyr wrote:

And I would have done it without the drama and angst so many seem to possess here.

----------------

Apparently you read as well as you write. If you're so critical of the way we debate issues, why bother yourself?

----------------

On 4/22/2005 11:03:08 PM dragonfyr wrote:

The point was that you COULD get a current table with new cartridge that is equal to or better then 'vintage', without the additional setup or reconditioning (all additional charges unless you have the knowledge, alignment protractors, etc. to do this)that might very well accompany the vintage turntable.

By buying the new table you could conceivably save more money then buying the older table. As for instance, updating the older Rega 3 to the current Planar3, addressing many issues that Rega identifies, will cost an additional $300, and there would still be the additional setup (unless you have the tools and the knowledge) as well as a new cartridge (and I haven't heard anyone pushing any of the discount cartridges!) that would bring the total price ABOVE the MH. All in all, I am simply suggesting a quality turntable that would provide the best bang for the buck. It is not the only one available, but it was a reasoned suggestion...Unlike the hystrionics of some of the responses to this.

As regards to the reviews of the turntable, you are welcome to search out the Sterophile reviews yourself as you are the one so concerned! You know, the folks who sit around and listen to $1500 per meter interconnects who are the ones who have been drooling over the MHs and placing the in their select equipment lists.

Personally I don't really care about their reviews. This was my opinion of a 'best buy' turntable that offered the biggest return for the investment to listen to vintage records.

The difference between what so many here want to do and what I would have done is that I would have purchased it and been listening and enjoying the TT for several weeks before you guys finished debating which wire was necessary for retrofitting the arm and cartridge! Or which cartridge to buy, or where can you find an alignment protractor, or a mass guage, or what brand of $300 record clamp was necessary to make the TT sound worth a damn.

And just because I realish the entertainment value of mentioning this, after all is said and done, I would probably just go out and sit in my fantasy Porsche GTs and listen to the radio and luxuriate in the aroma of the leather seats - imagining how fast it could go and how it would kick the @ss of YOUR fantasy car if I cared enough to turn the Damned thing on!
9.gif9.gif9.gif

Addendum: Here is some info regarding the fine print re: Rega upgrades that may or may not be of interest.

"Colored plinths for the Rega Planar 3 2000 turntable are available for a $45 extra charge. Traded in Planar 3 turntables and Planet CD players must have factory box and packaging, no modifications (i.e. no re-wired arms, spliced in phono leads, re-painted plinths etc. etc.), and be in very good or better condition (i.e. working properly with only typical wear and tear). For those who are missing parts, or all of their original factory packaging for your Planar 3 turntable or Planet CD player, we can furnish new replacement packaging for a additional $25 charge. Older Planar 3s (which are those that are more than 10 years old with RB-300 arm and the black brushed aluminum type looking plinth) are not worth as much as the latter Planar 3s (which have the black laminate type plinth), so the trade up cost is $50 higher for those older tables. Original Planar 3s (those real ol' buggers with the S shaped tonearm) do not qualify for this upgrade program. While we don't expect your Planar 3 to be in as new condition, please notify us in advance of any cosmetic or physical damage to the table. While minor things like a rubbing pulley or a loose belt are OK and easy for us to fix, a significant scratch (for example) in the plinth is a item which we cannot really repair and will impact the resale value and the trade in value of your table."

Come to think of it, if the new flourescent colored Regas florence inder black light, it might be worth it to have one of the lime green tables! A truly serious acoustical consideration!

----------------

You still haven't told me/us how the Music Hall "eats up" the Rega. I've lurked here for quite a while, and your remarks concerning forum members HERE being preoccupied with gimmicks is way out of line and for the most part baseless. Music Hall tables may SOUND very well, but every one I've ever TOUCHED felt CHEAP and FLIMSY. That's just my opinion. If you could have explained why the MH was superior I would have bought it, but you didn't. I found a used Rega 25 at a local consignment shop for $275, they were asking $350 but I talked them down. It had sat around for a while. Now all I need is the cartridge. What do you guys think of the Benz Glider? I have a chance to buy one used for $250. The guy that has it says it has less than 300 hours on it and he's selling it because he upgraded. What do you think?

Bitece,

Have you revealed what you are willing to spend? Maybe that would bring a renewed focus. In my system profile you will see that my TT is a Technics sl-d2, which is a 1979 direct drive semi-automatic. It has worked without any problems ever since, and is definitely the "experience" from the time. I recently upgraded the stylus on the AT cartridge to a bonded shibata type, and yes there is an improvement. The other "mod" I have made is putting leveling feet on it.

In today's dollars it must have cost around 300 to 400 ($120 or so back then). Hardly serious audiophile, but like my 1970 vw beetle, it just keeps running.

Recently, I talked with a guy who sold his Forte II's because "they just could not do reverb like he wanted to hear." He had to spend about five times what Forte's go for to find what he was looking for. He could live with that, and obviously was willing to spend it.

The bottom line is: Look for one you will enjoy using and spend up to what you are willing to spend.