Klipsch classic

Live CrazyJoe

Guest Anonymous

Any good, relative to what? Seriously, look at the specs and tell me what's better. There are many better, but many, many, many more that shouldnt be mentioned in the same breath.

Honestly I wasnt looking for sarcasm. Just a response on the quality of the speakers. A simple response would of sufficed. Something like they are crap, or they were a good speaker in their time.

Im not looking to compare them against anything. Are these quality speakers or not? A simple question I think.

Sorry some of the responses were not helpful to you. Certainly the speakers are not junk by any means. Quite to the contrary.

Some of us here are big fans of the older models, the Heritage series. They are the ones the company founder Paul Klipsch built his business and reputation upon. They are bigger, more complex, and much more expensive.

The KG series are newer and lovers of the Heritage look at them with some question. But that should not deter you.

The specs show good performance and I think you'll be very impressed. The "Tratrix" horn is used in many of the even newer high end Klipsch speakers. I believe they have remarkable performance. Based upon the spec and the reputation of KG types, bass should be very good too. They are a lot of bang for the buck.

People are mostly pointing out the obvious. It depends on what you compare them to. I'd say they'll outperform most non-Klipsch speakers costing many times more. You could call them "starter" sets as compaired to the more complex Klipsch units.

That is not bad though. There is a lot of magic to Klipsch of all stripes. You just might fall in love with the new (to you) performance level . . . like many of us have. If there is any damning with faint praise here it is a manifestation of something else.

The something else is that once the bug bites, you start wondering just how good it can get. People step up the more expensive ones.

One issue is price. Let me suggest someplace around $300 if in good condition with all drivers working. Black is the least expensive. Good walnut more. I paid $400 for my walnut Quartets at a local store. They are a bit more sophisticated, about the same size, but the condition was mint, and that included original boxes.

Others here have more experience. You could check e-Bay past auctions to get a better idea. E-Bay stuff can be tricky. There you have to pay shipping, packing, risk of damage, etc. If these are around the block, you probably have a good deal.

If possible, you should see if the store will hook up an amp to ensure things are working and you're not disapponted when you get home. Only your ear can do that.

Have some mercy on us here. If a fellow wrote, "I saw a car, it might be this one I saw on a website, price is open, condition is unknown; but tell me whether it is good deal?"; you'd say the fellow is expecting too much.

Still, in view of the above, and with exercise of common sense, it is likely to be a good purchase.

Best,

Gil

LCJ,

I have the KG 4's and love them.........they are a good cost item that isn't as expensive (used), as say the CW's........The reviews/and comments from others here have been very positive about these. I say you can't go wrong - and if you decide to sell them, you should not have any problem getting your investment back.

Good Luck to you, and if you get them Please Post Pics!

Live CrazyJoe,

I own KG 5.2, and I really love the way they sound.

The 5.5 have two 10" woofers where the 5.2 has a 10" woofer and a 12" passive radiator.

Like Bill H. said "you cant go wrong" That is as long as its a good price. And since its local there will be no shipping involved.

Sorry about the first posts that you got on this but it is like Gil said, with out knowing what exact model and what condition they are in it is very hard to give a price.

What is the store asking for them?

On the back will be a sticker with the model number and serial numbers on it. Let us know that and maybe some pictures and we will hook you up and get you started in the Klipsch family.

Welcome to the board.

Steve

I owned KG 5.5's for many years. They're nice speakers for the price and may be all you'll ever want. Their efficiency allows them to play at loud levels with little power. They are front ported which I liked better than a rear ported speaker and give good bass. In good condition they should be worth $400 tops. They often sell for much less. There was an issue with the cabinets at some point during their production, you might check out the motorboard (front) and rear cabinet panels. Good luck to you.

Keith

What price is on the pair in the pawn shop? After hearing them, and verifying model & condition see if he'll go for $250. There is a pair if 5.5's in one of my local pawn shops listed at $399, and after 3 months, the guy still won't go below $350 total. They're about a 7 out of 10 conditionwise. They are good speakers, especially for rock. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. And Welcome to the forum!

----------------

On 4/16/2005 1:52:17 AM Live CrazyJoe wrote:

Honestly I wasnt looking for sarcasm. Just a response on the quality of the speakers. A simple response would of sufficed. Something like they are crap, or they were a good speaker in their time.

Im not looking to compare them against anything. Are these quality speakers or not? A simple question I think.

----------------

Yikes!,IMO, No NHL's response was not to sarcastic at all. A persons opinion on the sound quality of speakers is very subjective. Since you've *not* stated what you currently have, or like, and not being "sure" about the speaker in question, his opinion is what you asked for, and recieved.

In future posts, please reveal the hidden constraints that should be considered in a persons reply.