Final opinions w/ all new networks - Belle vs.Cornwall

richieb

Have installed new BEC networks on both my Belles type A/AA, and Cornwalls type B. Corns have been evaluated for about a week. Before I bought Belles about a month back I had no issues and was a perfectly happy Cornwall owner for over a year. I know this is only my opinion and how I perceive and evaluate but for me, it is Belles hands down. I brought the Belles back to the rig last night and for the first time used the type A network connections. I found like the Belles even more on type A than AA. They had not played for five seconds and I already knew which I liked better, for me, much better. Belles are so much more precise, sharp, real, natural and with my components offer up plenty of damn nice, tight, clean and authoritive bass. It is hard to describe but just such a damn nice, pure sound. Not harsh or "drill like" in any way. Corns are nice, please don't get me wrong but they sound veiled and a bit too laid back for me. No doubt more bass makes this a somewhat "darker" sounding speaker. Not as clean sounding. Describing how something sounds can be difficult as only you know what you are hearing and how you are affected. And these Belles have affected me, big time. Once again these are my opinions but Belles are an incredible speaker; a superb sound....and they don't look too bad either.

Yep, the Belle's are a damn fine speaker, looking and sounding!

You must prefer the horn loaded bass better than the bass reflex type of the Cornwall's since the top end on both is pretty close, with the Belle having a slightly larger horn.

It's all good enjoy!

Hi, as you may know I found a pair of ind. La Scala's that I am working on to optimize them for home audio use. I am still thinking on which network to buy. I understand that you really like the BEC's. Why did you choose them. What is the difference between A and AA? Thanks, Tim.1.gif

Industrial lascalas are a perfect speaker to try out the bass bin mod (porting the area behind the woofer to extend freq response down to around 30Hz). A quick search should find you the schenematics.

I would love to hear a belle/lascala next to a pair of cornwalls and do some AB comparisons on the spot. I personally think I would prefer the cornwall because it plays lower, but that's just my assumption of course. A good subwoofer kinda makes that a mute point though. 2.gif

----------------

On 4/18/2005 12:26:14 PM Timmikid wrote:

Hi, as you may know I found a pair of ind. La Scala's that I am working on to optimize them for home audio use. I am still thinking on which network to buy. I understand that you really like the BEC's. Why did you choose them. What is the difference between A and AA? Thanks, Tim.
1.gif

----------------

Hi Tim,

Really three reasons why I had Bob do the networks. First, I needed new diaphrams installed in the Belle tweeters and I spoke with Bob about that and his work with networks. Decided to have Bob do all the work at once. Second, I liked his idea of just replacing the old components with new, bringing them back to "new" original condition. Nothing was changed from the original design. I aslo like the ability to change from type A to AA with just a jumper wire. Seems you get two networks in one. Third, his price is very reasonable.

I just asked Bob yesterday the difference in Type A and AA. Type A network simplifies the circuit and removes tweeter protection. A little brighter on the high end and a bit differant how it takes over from the mirange. On initial listening, I prefer Type A.

I came to the exact same conclusions when I bought my Cornwall's a few months ago. The Belle's have a much tighter, cleaner bass then the Corns, & the mid just seems much clearer. I also am running type AA for the Belle's.

Last month when I bought the painted decorator Cornwall's, I tried them just for a short time before I removed the drivers for refinishing. They seemed to have slightly cleaner sound than I remember from the newer pair I already had, but I did not do a direct comparison. I will try them both in the same config when I finish them.

DrWho sez "I would love to hear a belle/lascala next to a pair of cornwalls and do some AB comparisons on the spot."

cmon over then, You'll have to help me move furniture though, and we can comp heresy at the same time...

Michael

or ask IndyKlipschFan as he's changed his HT layout from all Corns to a blend LS across the front, Corn for surrounds.