feedback on teac 700 t-amp???

r.cherry

----------------

On 4/21/2005 8:15:13 AM DeanG wrote:

I'm not ready for another Teac thread. Besides, there's opinions out the wazoo in the other thread. I'm only interested if we can have a good flame war.
:)

----------------

okie dokie

i withdrawl my question.

i was interested in replacing my aging equipment, not starting a big ole messy thread.

12.gif peace

I agree just about everyone who owns one has posted either in my thread in the the previous two threads on teacs.

was there concensus? yes I think so, everyone agrees it is an orageously good amp for the dollar, some differences of opinion exist however about whether they really can compete with the big money amps. I came down on the no side of that equation, I will stay with my tube amps for now.

regards, tony

Why not spend $600 or so and hear an implemention of the technology without all of the corner cutting? Personally, I don't think it's the output side that's responsible for the good sound from on these things -- but the switched power supply side.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 9:28:51 AM DeanG wrote:

Personally, I don't think it's the output side that's responsible for the good sound from on these things -- but the switched power supply side.

----------------

I have to disagree with you on that one. My TEAC sounded real nice with the switching power supply but it does generate noise. The change to a battery power supply moved it to a totally different league.

I've sent my unit to Dee for an audition so he might decide to share some of his conclusions too.

I'm sure that they've cut some corners but I did modify mine in stages.

The first stage was upgrading the power supply and coupling caps which did improve the sound and then, removing the power supply entirely and changing it with batteries. It turned it from an excellent amp to a real giant killer.

My amp is headed to Guy "Playntheblues" next and I think that I'd be able to send it to you after that too (if you're interested).

I have heard the Bel Canto unit and it sounded much like the Teac, I hate to say it....I am not sure much was lost in the corner cutting...not that it could not sound better with some cap swapping and a better PS implementation, just that the $500 did not seem to make much difference. I would like to hear the carver pro jut for hoots, but I think I have gotten a decent picture of what these amps currently can do....tony

"You can put a prom dress on a pig, but underneath it you still have a pig"

I thought pork was the other white meat?

The 1602 is overkill. I wanted the 1202, but wrote down the wrong part number. Once I got home and hooked everything up, I just decided to keep it. Now, I am using The Peach, and I'm sure that has quite a bit to do with the fact that I like the sound.