How to keep the cat away???

atomicskiier01

----------------

On 4/24/2005 3:51:39 PM atomicskiier01 wrote:

There is no dog right now. We both know that we won't be around enough to have a dog.

----------------

A male dog would probably lift his leg and relieve himself on Bose products. Rocky the Rottweiler sez - "I got yer 'Lifestyle' right here for ya"

1.gif

A great point(s) regarding the adoption of a cat Michael!

I agree regarding the desire for a purebred cat (and to each his own!), and I too would agree about the magic that seems to exist when you adopt a cat. Call me crazy (ME!?!?!?!?!), but there Does seem to be a 'desparate need' factor that seems to surround an adopted kitten - and it seems to be directly translated into the nature of the soon to be relationship!

I dare you 2.gif (in the best of ways of course!!) to take your fiance to the animal shelter! If you can leave without taking one (or more!! Be careful!!!!!!) of the fightened kittens with their big eyes staring at you, I would almost go so far as to say that you have no soul! And if you do (leave without one!), your girlfriend will NEVER forgive you!(Hey, I'VE been there!!!!!!)

But in any case, with just a little planning and awareness, you will never regret getting a cat.

Oh, and to introduce you to the eternal debate over which way the toilet paper is installed onto a roll.....And you thought owning a cat would be simple! 9.gif9.gif

If you have ever had the unique opportunity to have a cat who has discovered the joys of playing with the roll..... only to come home and find it COMPLETELY unrolled in a pile on the floor!!!!!!! Hmmmm!!! The CORRECT answer is that the paper is to be oriented so that the free end is 'closest to the wall'! That way, if they discover the roll (most won't!), and if they play with it, it will roll itself up!

I know I have grown up with this being the default way to do this, and it has resulted in quite a few intense discussions with non-cat people (you will soon be able to recognize them - they live a bit of a deprived life - sort of like those folks who haven't discovered the joys of horn loaded speakers!) 2.gif regarding the proper orientation of toilet paper! Again, sort of analogous to explaining Klipsch Heritage speakers to the uninitiated!

But once you do, I seriously believe that you will soon discover why some cultures have worshiped them, or at the very least, held them in such high esteem!1.gif

Neat!!!!!!!

Then you ARE indeed in for a treat! (And it sounds like you have found an enlightened partner as well!!!)

Just don't say that we didn't warn you!9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif (You can interpret that however you choose! 9.gif11.gif2.gif )

Oh, and one more off the wall idea...

If you are really worried, you might consider stretching some of the black nylon open weave anti-bird netting used on fruit trees over the front of your speakers. It is almost invisible and would completely discourage the cat from messing with it. It might be an easy and relatively invisible option and very inexpensive insurance for that one in a million chance encounter.... (But my money will still go on some enlightened idiot touching the dust cap of a driver before it will go on the cat!!!)6.gif2.gif

dragonfyr- how many cats run your household?

I've got three-all adopted from the farm - all rock and roll names!

Gypsy (black traveller),

Mr. Steely Dan (looked like steel wool as a kitty)

Macy Grey (very long hair multi colored tabby- looks like she's got a feather boa)

Michael

I have five house cats, all declawed, all happy and healthy.

To each his own. I know some people are passionately anti-declawing. But if the alternatives are shredded speakers and/or furniture versus offing the cat or abandoning it somewhere or taking it back to the shelter, declawing is a no-brainer.

The declawing itself is done under anesthesia and is painless. My cats seem to have experienced only three days or so of gingerliness afterward. A small price for them to pay in return for plush lives for years onward.

Cats are fascinating critters each with its distinct personality. Mine range from in-your-face affectionate to Sphinx-like aloof. The aloof ones (two purebred flame-point Himalayans, declawed, cared-for and clean that were ABANDONED!) are like living sculptures though.

Am I the only person to ever see a cat go after speaker wires? For that matter, any wire at all?

We had to run all of my father's spekaer wires in that plastic flex lume stuff to keep his cat from chewing on them. Our cat loves phone chords (easy solution - buy chordless phone).

In case you are wondering, yes, we are a multi-generational Klipsch family...

Never had that problem with a cat, although I did (actually I still do, before anyone freaks!) have a nephew who liked to chew on stuff!

EASY solution, wipe the cable with a solution of water and hot sauce or garlic tea...or just wipe the cable with a cut garlic clove.

And just think, the next post we will get is how the capsacin or allicin in the solution effected the sound of your system! After all, it may lower the LDL and triglyceride content of the cable and allow the electrons to flow more freely - and thus save you the expense of incurring a cable by-pass.9.gif

With all due respect, I have had MUCH more trouble with dogs chewing stuff - especially when they are still puppies and teething. But they seem to like books the most, so you could always leave a few out as decoys!9.gif

As you settle in to marriage, stereo and felinity after your upcoming marriage, let me toss in another thought.

With all the changes ahead of you anyway, think in terms of at least TWO kitties. Sibling kittens preferably if you can arrange that. Cats are social and a solo cat left alone more than a day or two (with a daily-only look-in cat sitter) is a sad critter. Trust me, I know.

Kittens growing up and playing with each other together are fun to watch and to be with. Yes they will grow up to be more sober, baleful ADULT cats, but they'll still be OK.

Don't be in a hurry to have human kitties! That's when your lifestyle will really change.

Enjoy your sound (Klipsch + feline) futures, allbests.

----------------

On 4/26/2005 5:20:48 PM DTLongo wrote:

Don't be in a hurry to have human kitties! That's when your lifestyle will really change.

----------------

Boy, ain't that the truth!

Hey, how about carpeting all your speakers?

----------------

On 4/27/2005 8:56:31 AM atomicskiier01 wrote:

... Do you guys have any horror stories about crabby neighbors in apartments mixed with Klipsch speakers??

----------------

Apartments - very funny!

I've had the people in the House next door complaining that they couldn't hear their TV over my KLF-10's! That was before I upgraded to my 20's!

I have tried most of the various kinds of scratching posts available, but have found that most cats adore the 'Cosmic Catnip Alpine Scratcher'. It's a wedge-shaped thing and they love to go to the top and 'scratch down' on it too. You can buy replaceable corrugated cardboard refill pads if needed, but they last a long time. Here's a link that shows it, from a place that sells them online. Look around for a better price though, I got mine for under $10 somewhere else. If I remember where, I'll post it.

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf%5Fid=3040011&dept%5Fid=126&brand%5Fid=46&Page=

Ok, read this horror story over at Audio Karma - the little carpet crawler went right for the man's poor ADS subwoofer itself!!!

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38067

Scratching isn't the ONLY problem one can encounter with cats - here's ANOTHER infamous cat/speaker horror story!

http://www.quentecafe.com/index.asp?id=106#blogPos106

There's a lot of others - just do a search of the Klipsch forums using the seemingly innocuous word "cat" - you'll find many references to grills shredded, expensive interconnects destroyed, and other problems all relating to cats.

Remember one word - "Declaw"

I'm willing to make a wager that more speakers have been destroyed or screwed up by PEOPLE then by all the cats, dogs, squirrels, llamas, kangaroos, platypus herds, locusts, salamanders, tree frogs, guppies, kiwis, killer whales, clams, leeches, vampire bats, wildebeests, hognosed snakes, parakeets, moles, and assorted other yahoos that you can assemble.

This weird fetish and hangup about pets is pretty off the wall. And it seems to be most firmly intrenched in those who don't have pets!

While I personally have not seen an animal destroy a speaker, I HAVE witnessed, on at least TWO occassions, a HUMAN toddler waddle right up to a coned speaker and poke their outstretched finger right through it! Quite fascinating and actually quite entertaining, as it wasn't MY speaker! Especially as on one occassion we sat there and warned them to watch out for the monster, only to be assured that it would NEVER do such a thing! And then the parents, of course, sat there aghast and totally confused regarding why a baby would do it! And of course then came the enlightened uttereance "babies just do those things". And the person whose speaker it was became the source of the problem as he should have had them protected. Yeah, right! Babies just do that! I guess it was just practicing for when it grows up!

W.C Fields was right!

If you want to worry about something, stop worrying about pets and simply worry about ourselves and the monsters that we as a race procreate.

And if you want relative protection from all of them, get a couple of LaScala's! I dare say they can take being wizzed on a few times and still keep ticking. Although I seriously suggest you worry more about your drunk friends before you worry about your pets!2.gif