True Heresy....see pics and flame away ;-)

Tom Adams

Tom,

Very Nice Job.

You even answered my question on what size round over bit to buy. I have only used my router to make dadoes (sp?) for CD racks. I am going to try and make butcher block platforms this weekend and I wanted to round them over.

Now I need one more question answered. How long did it take you to work up the nerve to round over your first speaker? I think I would be thinking about it for a couple hours and then chicken out.

Another question. If you had a compressor and paint gun would you have tried painting them yourself?

Again thanks for sharing your project.

Have you noticed how many power tools you get to buy because of Audio? I'm buying a drill press this weekend.

Danny

I think they look awesome, nice touch on the new input cups and gold screws on the back.

I was thinking about having my center La Scala veneered to match the Khorn mains but those look so nice I may just have it painted black! It would certainly be easier and cheaper.

----------------

On 4/26/2005 10:12:13 AM dbflash wrote:

Tom,

Very Nice Job.

You even answered my question on what size round over bit to buy. I have only used my router to make dadoes (sp?) for CD racks. I am going to try and make butcher block platforms this weekend and I wanted to round them over.

Now I need one more question answered. How long did it take you to work up the nerve to round over your first speaker? I think I would be thinking about it for a couple hours and then chicken out.

Another question. If you had a compressor and paint gun would you have tried painting them yourself?

Again thanks for sharing your project.

Have you noticed how many power tools you get to buy because of Audio? I'm buying a drill press this weekend.

Danny

----------------

D-MAN => The reason I mentioned "flame" in the thread title was because I know how some of you purist are.2.gif1.gif But I was just funnin'. Thanks for the compliment and yes, knowing that I'd have to fork over $1K for a new pair is a nice feeling.

Danny => How long did it take to get the nerve up? Well, considering the fact that I've never used a router before this project, I did wonder about my sanity a few times. Once I decided rounding the corners of the really bad cabinets was the only solution, I practiced on some scrap wood until I felt comfortable. After that, it was putting the router on the cabinet, turning it on and saying to the assisting wife, "Here goes....no turning back now!" 6.gif9.gif Not to brag, but I've done some wood working before and my Dad is super at it. So I'm pretty confident in my "skills", but more importantly, I recognize my weaknesses. I learned a lot from my Dad. Watching & helping him build a 16' outboard boat from nothng but a set of plans taught me a bunch.

BTW Danny - I lied to you.15.gif I used a 1/4" roundover bit. Sorry, not sure why I said 1/2" other than I'm a dumass.15.gif

Would I have shot them if I owned a compressor and gun? I think so. However, I probably would've gone through quite a bit of paint teaching myself do's & don't's while practicing on scrap wood. The other thing I would've had to learn (probably the hard way) was what kind of paint to use and how to mix/formulate it. At one point I considered buying the equipment. But when I got to thinking about the total dollars I would invest in equipment and paint, it made more sense to hire the job out. Hell, have you priced automotive paint? YIKES!!

FWIW, my friend told me that the "concoction" he used was one quart of Rustoleum satin 7777 thinned down with a half quart of mineral spirits based paint thinner with a third of a quart of Rustoleum gloss added in. I know, probably sounds weird to professional painters, but that's what Benny said he did to achieve the finish we were looking for and for spray-ability. To be honest, Benny & I both agree that there is probably a better paint for spraying. But we had to go the 7777 route because I had already started using it (via spray can) on a couple of cabinets.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks.

I was going with 1/4" until I read your post>

It seems like everytime Norm does a project he uses a 1/4" round over bit.

I am going to start making butcher block out of 2x4 pine for the exact reason you said. Practice on cheap stuff/scrap first and when I get up to speed, buy the good stuff.

Your paint formula sounds good to me. I know what ever type spayer I've heard people talk(Wagner for painting walls) they always had to thin the paint out to make it work better.

What router did you end up getting? I bought the combo that PC sells. Its a fixed and can be added to a plunge case.

Again thanks for posting this and good job.

Danny