tube amp recommendations

smuttynose

Beginning to show my age I guess. "What do you want, good grammar or good taste", was the followup advertising slogan to the original, "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should". Someone of significance banged them for the bad grammar in the ad, and they came back with the other.

"Plus, and more importantly, my wife permanently lost the hearing in one of her ears and it's difficult to get overly excited anymore about great sounding equipment when I can't share that with her."

Am I the only one moved by that? Man, that's one of the most loving acts I've heard of.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/17/2005 7:28:12 PM DeanG wrote:

...Plus, and more importantly, my wife permanently lost the hearing in one of her ears and it's difficult to get overly excited anymore about great sounding equipment when I can't share that with her."

Am I the only one moved by that? Man, that's one of the most loving acts I've heard of.

----------------

No, not at all. You are right, it is deep and good act of love.

Forrest

I have an old Fisher 500c which I brought back to spec and it works very well with Klipsch. Fisher made some damn good recievers back then and they can be had for pretty cheap on the used market. Just make sure you replace any aging caps and the selenium rectifier. You can probably find one that has been restored back to spec for around $500, or one that needs some work for as little as $100. All you would have to do is get one of the restoration kits from the Fisher doctor if you can solder or send it to one of the companies that does restorations of this stuff.

Another o[ption would be to pick up a brand new Jolida 102b for $549. This way you have soemthing brand new with a waranty. These amps sound great too, and theres plenty of upgrades you can do in the future to make them even better, I think personally this is the way I would go. You can beet a brand new tube integrated for under $600 that sounds really good. Its good for about 15 or 20 watts per channel froma pair of el84's, plenty of power for your speakers. Just an idea, I think your better of going with a new amp. If you buy something 40 years old you never really know what your getting especially if you buiy of ebay. Be careful with the older stuff unless you know the previous owner and know he/she took good care of it.

----------------

On 5/18/2005 11:02:50 AM fini wrote:

I agree that it is touching, but what about mono? No reason to give up on music. Hell, sell
half
your gear...

----------------

I'm not getting rid of 'everything'...just not making it my main focus or passion anymore. I still have two pairs of Maggies (1.6s and MMGs) and KEF Reference 105.2s for speakers but will probably only keep the 1.6s. It's just hard to get overly enthusiastic about what I'm hearing on my system, knowing I'm the only one hearing (all of)it. If you saw all the gear I have laying around, I think you'd probably do the same. She's always supported my 'audio fixes' without complaint and even now is encouraging me to do what pleases me, which in this case (for now) isn't necessarily audio gear. I'll try to sell here and on a couple of other forums first before going the fleabay route. I'm pricing things to sell rather than trying to squeeze every last penny. There is still other gear I haven't listed yet. Email me if interested for a complete list as I don't want to hijack this thread or it's main topic.

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

I should do that for my wife, too. Tell you the truth, it all kinda drives her crazy, all this stuff. I try to keep her slightly miffed, rather than full-blown nutty mad. It makes those days when I clean up even that much more special...9.gif