Camcorder format suggestions?

scott0527

My 6 year old Super 8 gave up the ghost. Any suggestions in the $500 range for simple family recording. Something easy to use, easy to store recorded media. I'm not concerned with editing. Just want to record the all the kiddie stuff that goes on and be able to let them watch it on TV without a lot of hassle. None of the camcorders I saw have vacuum tubes so I don't know where to begin1.gif

I've been shooting video since I was quite young. I started with 8mm film, then Super 8mm film, then Super 8mm film with sound, VHS tape and for the last 7 years, MiniDV tape. I am also very familiar with HI 8 and Super 8 tape.

Out of all the advances there have been in home movie recording ove the last 50 years, none have been as monumental as the advent of MiniDV. Buy it, you will like it. The cameras are small and can be had well under $500. They produce excellent picture quality (full digital) and the sound is usually pretty good. The camera's are a lot more affordable now, regardless of brand they all seem to give you a lot of bang for your buck and you can buy the 1 hour tapes on the cheap at places like Sam's Club where they off a TDK six-pack for $10.50 bucks!

If you want to edit and you already have a PC that is running Windows XP, there is already movie-editing software loaded on it called "Windows Movie Maker" (see Start> Programs>Accessories). Also, camera manufacturers usually bundle movie editing software (such as Pinnacle) for free along with their cameras. They will usually allow you to burn DVDs, too. Good luck!

Scott,

I just bought a MiniDV camera (Panasonic PV-GS120) and am pretty happy with it. You will be surprised how small the cameras are. This one listed for, like $700, but was at Costco for $500. It's last year's model, replaced with the GS150. They're at Best Buy for $700.

I've been researching like a mad man to figure out which camcorder I wanted and I ended up picking the one from Panasonic that's been on backorder now since February.... I'm looking at a higher price point though for the Panasonic GS400.

Anyway....

In the mean time for you...That Panasonic GS150 is probably the best bang for the buck over any camcorder at just above the $500 mark!(prices are falling DAILY).

Check out these two websites. They are excellent and easy to navigate thru. www.camcorderinfo.com and dvspot.com. Just note that the numeric ranking values for the 2005 rated cameras don't coincide with the 2004 cameras. He's using a different ranking system for the 2005 models. Keep in mind that these guys rate $200 camcorders as well as $4,000 ones so they'll get a little critical of some of the functions on the cheaper cameras but it gives GREAT advice.

dvspot.com also compares the GS150 to the GS250 and puts actual video clips in.

That's my two cents!

My fingers are falling off because I've been to those sites so many times trying to figure out if Panasonic has started shipping their cameras yet.

I put my order in with J&R back in Feb so I'm first on the list when they start showing up. I got in at $1200 and I think the price is up to $1350 now. He even gave me a great deal on the 4 year extended warranty and I bought my HK7200 from them so I trust them.

I keep borrowing my brothers camera but the joke at my house is that my kid's going to grow up with his first 4 months of life not video'd 'cause his nutty dad is waiting on a backordered camera!!!! Ha!

I have a feeling the 250 is what I'll end up getting since Panasonic can't seem to get enough 400's out.

The only thing I think you'll be a little disappointed in with the 150 is that it's not great in taking the "shakes" out as you film. Other than that, it's supposed to be a bang-up camera for the money!

Some of the smaller cameras are great.

caveats:

1. The less expensive and smaller cameras are a bit harder to hold steady.

2. They almost never have an external microphone jack.

You can get over the first one with practice. One of th eguys I work with uses a Canon GL1. Cost a bit more and is a bigger camera, but he made a portable camera mount with 1/2" pipe. With a cap on one end and a 1/4" bolt through it, he can mount the camera. Partway down is a tee that has an 8" length of pipe sticking out for a handle. The verticle pipe has a five pound weight on it.

Holding onto the verticle pipe near the top makes the camera very steady, as the weight on the bottom just won't let it flop around and shake.

Only problem is -- it will get heavy after a while.

The second can't be fixed. And there will come a time where you might want to add the external mic, if just for the improvement in AUDIO. It's the oft forgotten [art of shooting great video.

Marvel

----------------

On 4/26/2005 1:16:00 PM Marvel wrote:

Some of the smaller cameras are great.

caveats:

1. The less expensive and smaller cameras are a bit harder to hold steady.

2. They almost never have an external microphone jack.

You can get over the first one with practice. One of th eguys I work with uses a Canon GL1. Cost a bit more and is a bigger camera, but he made a portable camera mount with 1/2" pipe. With a cap on one end and a 1/4" bolt through it, he can mount the camera. Partway down is a tee that has an 8" length of pipe sticking out for a handle. The verticle pipe has a five pound weight on it.

Holding onto the verticle pipe near the top makes the camera very steady, as the weight on the bottom just won't let it flop around and shake.

Only problem is -- it will get heavy after a while.

The second can't be fixed. And there will come a time where you might want to add the external mic, if just for the improvement in AUDIO. It's the oft forgotten

Marvel
----------------

I'm sure if I swap the stock tubes for Telefunkens will I get better audio.

----------------

On 4/26/2005 12:14:56 PM endover wrote:

I've been researching like a mad man to figure out which camcorder I wanted and I ended up picking the one from Panasonic that's been on backorder now since February.... I'm looking at a higher price point though for the Panasonic GS400.----------------

I have a GS400. Great NTSC/PAL picture quality. The next big step up is in the ~$3K range, but with prosumer HDV and HD camcorders starting to come in at about the price range, I think the expensive prosumer NTSC/PAL camcorders are going to be history very soon.

Only big problem for me is no built-in XLR for XLR mics, so I had to buy an external XLR box.