Speakerlab K - Khorn Clones - Walnut - $500

Frzninvt

----------------

On 4/28/2005 9:40:18 AM Frzninvt wrote:

It helps that she is hot with long blond curly hair, and has a perfectly round heart shaped bottom! Pant, pant!
3.gif

It also helps that she is only around a mile away so move will be easy.

----------------

I obviously can't compete with the long, blond hair or being local. I do have a big round *** though, lol

• 2 years later...

Well I have photos posted in my "What drivers are in the Speakerlab K" thread in "Technical Questions"

The bad news is that I sold them last night to my wife's best friend who stopped by and saw me cleaning them. They are destined for her basement game room and they should rock the house down there. I am going to set them up this Friday for her and drink beer, eat, and play some pool while they rock in the background. They have all the performance of a Khorn and more! I just don't care for the cosmetics as compared to my '77's or else I would keep them for myself. I love the T-350 tweeters though it will be hard to see those go!

If you come across a pair, they are worth the investment.

Yes, they sure are!

I got a pair, almost gave up on em too.

The guy had the rear woofer chamber overstuffed with Dacron Sheets.

Bass was boomy and loose, and woody mid range coloration from the woofer dominated the sound.

L Pads were dirty and loose, caps bad.

Replaced caps, tighten and cleaned L Pads, took all stuffing out of rear woofer chamber.

Upon Freddi's advice, wired woofer up to the speaker wires, bypassing inductor.

Man, these bastards rock!

Kick *** bass, decent imaging and highs, and smooth as silk.

Almost laid back a bit in comparison to Klipschorns.

These are way underrated and overlooked from what I hear.

I MIGHT add just a little stuffing back, kinda playing with that, and wanna brace the access door up a bit.

I used to live in Seattle when SpeakerLab was in it;s heyday.

Many don't know Dave Grabner was a partner in SpeakerLab, and went on to own Bohlender Grabner in Nevada.

They made Carver ribbon for him, and still making ribbons today.

What happened to Pat Snyder is anyone;s guess ?

Then there was Mile Nesterovic, Bruce Bronczyk, and the all the good people of the Pacific North West who worked there.

Seattle was a rocking town back in late 70's, early 80's.

Seattle was Jimi Hendrix home town , also was home to Heart, Nirvana, Queensryche, Pearl Jam, and many other great Rock acts.

Steve Miller had a home there.

I know PWK hated these, and I can see why.

Bruce Edgar was not kind to them either.

Be that as it may, and the only Salad Bowl I have ever had in my home is the one I eat out of ..... so far.

Maybe someday I can hang an Edgar Salad Bowl on top of these bass cabinets ?

Might even change the woofers, but why ?

These rock, and pressurize my room pretty nice.

Maybe the guys at SpeakerLab were really stoned the day they made some of these woofers ?

Whatever, mine seem to be ok ?

I wonder WHAT tweeters these are in my SK's ?

The guy I bought em from said they were EV T 350's, but DJK says they are WA 8000's, or something like that ?

I have had Cornwallis and Klipschorns in the last two years.

This is a better tweeter, whatever it is.

Haven't rope caulked the metal mid range horn yet, and haven't felt the need.

I just have Radio Shack caps in em right now, but plan to put a Polystyrene cap on the tweeter, and something better then the Non Polar electro's I got from Radio Shack for the mid range.

I do not know if these are alnico drivers, and if they need new magnetism either, or how you tell ?

I wish I could find the four I sold in 1976 or 1977 in Detroit. At least I hope they're still in service, rather than collecting dust in a garage or, worse, taking up space in a landfill.

They are probably playing at the Egg and I, or Hedges Wigwam on Woodward ?

I live in Tampa area now, but born in Detroit, grew up in Hazel Park and Warren.