Speakerlab K - Khorn Clones - Walnut - $500

Frzninvt

I found this ad in my local paper's website. I can check them out for anyone interested. Could be a great deal for some of our Canadian members that may want to give a Khorn a try.

CORNER SPEAKERS, Speakerlab K (Klipschorn design). 15 inch, woofers, with 7' folded horns, mid-range, and tweeter horns in walnut cabinet (48H x 32W x 24D). $500./pair. Please call (802) 863-2089.

I already have two pair of Khorns. The parts alone are probably worth the $500.

Probably right here in Burlington, VT which is about 70 miles from the Canadian border if I am not mistaken. I can give him a call and snap some pictures perhaps.

I called the guy and spoke to him, real nice guy retired from General Dynamics where I work. I am going to look at them when I get a chance. I'll take my digital camera. He said they are in real good shape and he is the original owner/builder of them.

Nevermind, I bought them! Anyone interested can contact me. They did sound real good by the way, the bass response was nice and solid just like the Klipschorn's and they have the equivalent of the EV T-350's for tweeters, the midrange looks just like the spring terminal K-55V, the cast horn is identical to the K-400. I did not have time to look in the woofer bins. Probably the W1508S 15" woofers that are similar to the square magnet K-33's but I won't know until I open the woofer compartment though.

Well, I was in the guy's house, he was looking to get rid of them quickly as they are moving to Lake Tahoe. My wife and I had the minivan with us so I figured why not.

I don't need them I have two pairs of Khorn's, these did sound very good, the bass was solid and deep and he just had an older Technics integrated hooked to them. The wood is in good shape as well with just minor wear. What appealed to me the most was the EV T350 equivalent tweeters those alone are worth about $200-$300 a pair. In addition, he had a guy from Lyndonville, VT that was ready to buy them sight unseen so I decided to snag them.

I snapped a couple of photos but I have to get my camera home, download and resize them before I post them. They had more bass than a La Scala there was no doubt about that, in fact the bass sounded fuller than the Khorn's and he did not have them sealed into corners either. There are also L-pads to adjust the mid and tweeter levels. He was the original owner and builder of them in the 70's. I have all the grills, he never assembled the front grills since he liked the bare horn look but I have the frames and matching cloth for them. They are still in my wife's van.

Nope, certainly not looking to bilk anyone, I am willing to sell them for essentially for what I paid for them, I will wipe them down and clean them up some though first.

I really wanted the tweeters in them, I was thinking of modifying my '62 Cornwalls motorboard and using the EV T-350's in place of the T-35's, not sure if I have the clearance for the tweeters though since they are mounted real close to the K-600's in the vertical arrangement.

Maybe I should put them on eBay with an opening bid of $800 and a BIN of $1000 but that is not the kind of person I am though. The bass bins are heavy, and the tops are removeable just like the Klipschorn's.

I would also be willing to trade them for a smaller Klipsch speaker like a nice pair of Heresy's or Heresy II's.

Yes, they actually have some good drivers in them (usually - and if factory-equipted). These are a good source for stock EV T-35s and 350's, as that was the "OEM" tweeter and the 350 was used on the SK models.

They also used Atlas midrange drivers and some of the early ones had a Speakerlab cast metal midrange horn.

If the bass bin was built by someone who knows what they were doing, then they will certainly perform at least as good as a real Khorn bass bin, as they are a pretty-exact copy, some even have extra internal bracing on the bacjk chamber that Klipsch doesn't.

There tend to be quite a few of these in the NorthWest due to SPeakerlab being local in Seattle.

I would ignore the crossovers, however, as they were a notorious POS even back then...

DM

Yep, these have the cast aluminum horns (H350), the bass bin is heavy and solid. The bass response was amazing and they were not tight in the corners. I hate to say it but the bass sounded better than a single pair of my Khorn's the woofers in them are obviously no slouch's.

The guy was an Engineer and a woodworker so I think he did a nice job. Like DMan said the crossovers look el cheapo but with some better components in them they would really be something I bet.

I am going to try them tonight since my '62 Cornwalls are getting refinished and regrilled. Six Khorn's in the same room - Yikes!

Do you guys think one could put a type A or AA from Bob on these as-is?

Gee, maybe I should make you an offer for them instead of waiting for khorns. My fear would be to always be wondering if I'm missing something by not having the real thing (it took me too long to get wife approval and lost Jeff's rosewood khorns to Chris; Chris has a spare set, but Rob was in line ahead of me. It may take a while to get a good pair close to me). When you get pictures ready, I'd love to see them. No obligation on your part, of course.

The bass in my four Speakerlab SK-Horns was always good, but I never comapred it directly to real Khorns.

One customer called to book a return engagement of my mobile DJ business and wanted to know if the price quoted included the drummer. It took me a while to persuade her that there had never been a drummer.

Those four big horns had tight deep bass, even when not in perfect corners. I used the plywood shippoing crates to fashion permanently attached false corners.

Well I have photos posted in my "What drivers are in the Speakerlab K" thread in "Technical Questions"

The bad news is that I sold them last night to my wife's best friend who stopped by and saw me cleaning them. They are destined for her basement game room and they should rock the house down there. I am going to set them up this Friday for her and drink beer, eat, and play some pool while they rock in the background. They have all the performance of a Khorn and more! I just don't care for the cosmetics as compared to my '77's or else I would keep them for myself. I love the T-350 tweeters though it will be hard to see those go!

If you come across a pair, they are worth the investment.

----------------

On 4/28/2005 6:43:39 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The bad news is that I sold them last night to my wife's best friend who stopped by and saw me cleaning them.

----------------

Well, at least now we know that it's abundantly clear that "wive's best friends" trump lowly fellow forum members!

Just Kidding
1.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

On 4/28/2005 9:40:18 AM Frzninvt wrote:

It helps that she is hot with long blond curly hair, and has a perfectly round heart shaped bottom! Pant, pant!
3.gif

It also helps that she is only around a mile away so move will be easy.
----------------

But if your wife catches wind of this last post you may find that YOU'RE in for a move!