Recommendations on SACD / DVD / CD Player under $400

JBlake377

the sony DVP-NC685V is a 5 disc CD/SACD/DVD changer that has received excellent reviews and suggested retail is $250

the abosolute sound magazine picked it as an "editor's best choice" under $1000 in the feb/march 2005 issue (page 28)

http://www.avguide.com/product/Players_Recorders/SACD_&_DVD-A_Players/Sony/DVP-NC685V_/2887.jsp

i own the model that was released a few years earlier (the DVP-NC650V)..... it does a great job on CD's and DVD's...but it really excells on SACD's

going for about $200 or so online

http://buyriteelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DVPNC685V

1.gif

Not trying to steal your thread Jblake but I was interested in the same question....

If I record jpeg photo's off my computer onto a CD or DVD, will that sony DVP-NC685V that you referenced earlier play them on my TV?

...and then please get back to Jblake's "regularly scheduled question" so I don't get on his "bad list".....

Thanks....

----------------

On 4/27/2005 9:01:35 AM endover wrote:

Not trying to steal your thread Jblake but I was interested in the same question....

If I record jpeg photo's off my computer onto a CD or DVD, will that sony DVP-NC685V that you referenced earlier play them on my TV?

...and then please get back to Jblake's "regularly scheduled question" so I don't get on his "bad list".....

Thanks....

----------------

i don't think so.... at least according to the specs listed here:

http://www.oade.com/Home_theater/sony/dvd/dvpnc685v.html

1.gif

Endover, how about you stop trying to take my thread over? I mean really!!!

Hehe, just kiddin. I was wondering the same thing you asked about the Sony. I am actually going to buy it today. Thanks for the help guys, listened to my friends last night and for the money, you just can't beat it.

I don't know if you are interested in listening to DVD-A, but I don't think the sony decodes MLP dvd audio. I have the Denon 2910 and it plays both DVD/SACD flawlessly and dual 12 bit 216 MHz video conversion which looks awesome over DVI. The audio DACs aren't as good as in the higher priced DVD-3910 but may be considerably better than in the Sony IMHO.

All of this being said I also own the Mitsubishi DD 850 which I picked up for $200 and use it for 5.1 Audio and it plays both DVD-A/SACD. {Edit: Oops-I just saw under $400. The DVD-2910 is under $600}

----------------

On 4/27/2005 11:55:35 AM Mike Frankel wrote:

Will any of these units play dual/double layer DVD's?

I have burned a few and I can only watch them on the drive that I burned them on.--

----------------

The Denon 2910 plays "DVD-R/RW (DVD-Video recording Mode)" I have never tried it though.

----------------

On 4/26/2005 4:59:53 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Wonder how that Sony changer compares to the new Pioneer DV-588 coming out?

----------------

Do you have any info/ on the new Pioneer DV-588?

The DV-578's 192kHz/24-bit audio D/ACs are fine (better then most!) and I have NO complaints with regards to SACD and DVD-A playback! And you can't beat the price. Especially as I picked it up for $98 at Questionable Buys!

---------------

On 4/27/2005 11:55:35 AM Mike Frankel wrote:

Will any of these units play dual/double layer DVD's?

I have burned a few and I can only watch them on the drive that I burned them on.

----------------

What DVD burner do you use?

I have used an NEC ND-3520A and have had very good compatibility results on different players with the few I have burned. It seems the compatibility is more greatly related to the burner then to the playback unit, as I have encounted differences with friends' burned DVDs made on another model burner while mine play fine. But I realize that they (the burner and the player) are both 'active' agents...

And if yours is still open, I know Ultimate Electronics sells them...Their regular price is $129.

----------------

Where or what is questionable buys.

---------------

Best Buy...9.gif

They dropped Pioneer and closed them out in January as they consolidated manufacturers...but you may luck out.

Elsewhere they are going for $129. And for a multiformat audio DVD player with great audio DACs, for a very reasonable price, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Its nice to find an inexpensive unit that performs so well. And its nice not to have to buy a $10,000 Krell unit to get decent playback. 9.gif (Oh, what have I started!?2.gif )

(Sorry folks, I know many of you frequent the place, but for me it ranks right up there with Wal-Mart as an audio/computer boutique.2.gif9.gif )

----------------

On 4/26/2005 4:25:13 PM minn_male42 wrote:

i own the model that was released a few years earlier (the DVP-NC650V)..... it does a great job on CD's and DVD's...but it really excells on SACD's

----------------

Watch out, Minn - I'm about to agree with you (mark this day in history)

I also own the NC650V, and can concur that it does an outstanding job in my humble two-channel system on SACD's, and more than adequate for DVD and CD performance as well.