Pioneer DV-578A-S versus DV-588A-S

Mike Frankel

I was just told by a salesman that he thought the Pioneer

DV-578A has vastly superior progressive scan and picture than the newer, DV-588A-S. He said that on the DV-588A-s, they compromised the picture quality in order to be able to play divx discs.

Of course he did not have the DV-588A-S in yet, so maybe he was just trying to get rid of the last of the DV-578A-S's.

He said that all the manufactrureres were trying to make the players cheaper with more features, hence the compromised picture.

Divx is not that important to me so should I take his word and jump on the DV-578A-S, or wait for the DV-588A-S?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Or has seen the two and know the performance?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Moderators

I can't help with your question but i have the pioneer 563a for a little over a year now and are very happy with it , it does dvd-a and sacd. The progressive scan seems to work very good on my Toshiba 65h84 at only $175 it was the cheapest i could find at the time. Im sure some others will jump in whith some thoughts.

For the forseeable future I think the DIVX encoding issue is moot. They are going head to head with Microsoft's Windows Media Player, but no one is releasing DIVX encoded discs as of the present.

And DIVX is only currently being used for compressing a few online delivery systems. And DIVX is easily converted for DVD recording. MPEG4 has not taken off!

I would not anticipate either Windows Media Player formats nor DIVX to become very popular for regular DVD players for some time (especially as NO one is playing them now nor do they have the means to play them if they had them. After all, to introduce a new format on printed media assumes at least a presence of players available.) And currently only Samsung and Phillips make a DIVX compatible player.

So, while this could possibly offer some functionality in the future, I am not going to base my purchases on a yet to be realized technology (at least with regards to recorded media!)

The DV-578A (and an "578AS" model for regionless PAL->NTSC conversion) is a terrific player, especially for the audio formats. I have no issues with it.

If the enhancement offered for the 588 is limited to DIVX decoding, I will be picking up another 578, as for $129 (regular retail), it can't be beat for the money.

"I was just told by a salesman that he thought the Pioneer

DV-578A has vastly superior progressive scan and picture than the newer, DV-588A-S. He said that on the DV-588A-s, they compromised the picture quality in order to be able to play divx discs.

Of course he did not have the DV-588A-S in yet, so maybe he was just trying to get rid of the last of the DV-578A-S's."

Was he say, a 17 or 18 year-old with greasy hair, pimply completion and squeaky voice? He would have been about 5 11 with a just a hint of a mustache and a superior attitude like his stuff didnt stick and like he told you his uncle works for Pioneer and he is rich and just taking this job for something to do? Yeah? Well I know him, he is really good, trust what ever he says.