nice black la scala's atlanta 950.00, good deal

I'm new to the Klipsch line of speakers. Would someone tell me about the La Scalas and how they compare with the modern Klipsch speakers such as the F-7. Further, how do they compare to the Klipshorn? or other heritage speakers that I hear discussed at length in this forum. Also, are these speakers (La Scalas) discontinued. Thanks.

The La Scalas are still in production.

Bass is clean and tight. They don't need to go into corners like a Klipschorn, so placement isn't as restricted. Not that placement isn't important, just that they don't need to go into corners.

Some say the bass is weak. They do not go as low as the Khorn or Cornwall, but many find them fine for music. Some still use a sub or subs with them. They are fairly large, approx. 2'x2'x3' high. Give or take a tiny bit. Pretty much the same dynamics as a Khorn, as they have shared the same woofer, mid driver and horn and tweeter.

Marvel

I see you are in Atlanta. These speakers would be a good buy for you. The La Scala is not discontinued, but would run you in the neighborhood of $3700 new. If I were you I would go look at those speakers. Check them out closely and maybe the guy would take even less if you waved some green at him (green cash that is) Having never heard Khorns, I can't comment on how they compare, but they are the next step down, along with Belles and Cornwalls.

By the way that black paint job on those La Scala's looks pretty cheesy. You could repair the small amount of damage and repaint them with a quality paint job.

I like the 'paint' job ('stain', actually).

La Scala are Klipsch Heritage speakers, still sold new today. There are considered one step down from the flagship Klipschorn since both use the same drivers and crossover. I have owned a pair for nearly 25 years (which don't like as nice as these) and enjoy them greatly. They do benefit from a good sub, but it's not strictly necessary. I went without one for years, only getting one last fall.

The description and specs are here:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=6

La Scalas consistently sell for between $1,000 to $1,400. Khorns routinely pull in $1,700 to $2,400. Cornwalls probably average $700-$800 and Heresies around $400-$450. Can you find them higher or lower? Sure. I got my two pairs of La Scalas for $600 per pair and my single pair of KG4s ran $200. Those were great buys and since they were local, I didn't have to pay shipping which makes them even better buys. But over the past 2 years of so, the above numbers are typically what the heritage line-up sell for. Therefore, $950 for a set of La Scalas that would be a "local" buy would be considered a "good" buy, unless they are seriously damaged in some way. A lot of heritage products have minor wood/cabinet blemishes which aren't all that hard to fix/rectify. After all, a lot of them are 20 to 30 years old and have been moved from house to house & apartment to apartment more times then all of us here on this board have combined fingers and toes.

I hear you on the price range, but I have seen them go for far less than a grand and rarely higher than 1,400. I have not seen too many black finished pair go for more than a grand. This pair looks to be in good shape and if they were WO, I would agree.

The reason that I am so suprised is that I listed a pair with a better finish in comparable condition and age for $750 and nobody really seemed too impressed. A guy answered my WTB add on Audiogon but they were too far away to justify a purchase.