Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 2

thebes

It's a new month and we have a new winner. Offer up your applause to Hardhitter, winner of a brand spanking new, highly sought after, Klipsch t-shirt. Another case of begginer's luck, since I think he's only posted once or twice in this ongoing thread. Congratulations Hardhitter and PM or email your shipping info.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Sweet Honey in the Rock, "We All Everyone of Us", lp, basically gospel.

A half a dozen of the sweetest African American voices you are ever gong to hear knocking out traditional gospel tunes and also some poltiical stuff. Simply amazing harmonies with very little accompanyment (sp),this one ought to lift your spirits.

So what do you have to share this week.

Hot Hot Heat "Elevator" - Rock LP

Nine Inch Nails "Downward Spiral" (SACD) and "With Teeth" (vinyl LP) - Industrial Rock

The Clash "The Essential Clash" - Punkrock CD

Godsmack "The Other Side" - Rock SACD

The Raveonettes "Pretty In Black" Rock CD

I'll recommend Soft Gifts for Mayhem by David Peters, CD, alt/rock. Click for a link and propoganda. davidpeters2.jpg

Dave's got a lot of diverse influences. Most prominent on this record are Floyd and Dave Fridmann's work. Fridmann mixes a tune here as well. Good stuff.

Stanley Turrentine, "Straight Ahead" 1985 Blue Note live LP with Jimmy Smith and George Benson. I bought a NM copy on Ebay for $3. Excellent recording with an all-star cast. Highly recommended.

"Art Pepper + 11" Originally recorded in 1959. I got a near perfect 1988 reissue for about $10 and it sounds amazing.

Art Pepper, "Today" Another great LP from Pepper that can be had for under $10.

You won't believe how great these albums sound and the music is fantastic if you like jazz even a little bit.

Peter and the Wolf.jpg

"David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf" - Eugene Ormandy, Philidelphia Orchestra

If you have kids or are around kids or want to feel like a kid, get this cd. Peter and the Wolf is probably a forgotten favorite for most of us. This version narrated by David Bowie is a gem. I have the 1978 LP - it's pressed on transparent green vinyl, just like the old kiddie records I remember.

Peter and the Wolf

Nice call, sputnik. I've got a couple different versions. I passed on a full set of 78s with Basil Rathbone narrating, but it was a favorite of mine as a kid.

A friend sent me a great record for my son. The Elephant's Child, narrated by Jack Nicholson, with music by Bobby McFerrin, on Windham Hill. Superb recording, and a funny story as well. I think I'll break it out again tomorrow when I'm home with Miles.

Just picked this one up last night.

Joe Perry: "Joe Perry" - DualDisc - Rock

I haven't tried out the CD side yet (except to rip it into my pc). The DVD side has a 5.1 mix of all the songs. I liked the recording very much. Perry is not a great vocalist, but his guitar playing is top notch. Uses slide a bit. Also a bit of eastern influence on one track. The surround speakers were put to good use but not to the point of overkill. Perry plays all the instruments except percussion, so this is pretty much a true solo effort as he puts it in the documentary that's on the DVD side. The DVD side can also be put in a pc and you can use "Umixit" to play around with remixing a couple of songs the way you would like. I haven't tried this feature yet.

Putting the extra goodies aside and based on the music, I would recommend this disc. I found myself smiling alot while listening to this and just really enjoying the recording. Come to think of it, my wife seemed to be grooving to this one when ever she came through the room and she's more of a country music fan. It's good rock & roll.

Well I already recomended this The Dire Straits self titled album (remastered to clearify)just arrived yesterday. I am listening to it with Heresy II"s with a dvd player. But I have to say this remastered cd sounds great even through my dvd players digital out. It almost sounds like these speakers were specifically invented for that music. I cannot wait untill I get another dedicated cd player (very soon). I highly recomend this cd for great music, great production. Go for it!!!