Disappointed and then letdown

Northshore

Stopped by one of the local CC's last night to pick up my first SACD and lo and behold there was ZERO for selection. The seventeen year old kid working there said he may have heard of a SACD once before but as with the last customer that asked, they could not locate one. My search continues........

Yes, you've found that B&M stores have a very poor selection of high res audio. I found a local Fry's had the best selection, but still inadequate.

Check out: AcousticSounds.com for a wider selection of SACD/DVD-A

I've yet to find a good SACD that delivers excellent multichannel. I purchased Norah Jones and that was an absolute waste since the multichannel conversion was beyond poor.

----------------

On 5/4/2005 12:07:43 PM mattbugz wrote:

Yes, you've found that B&M stores have a very poor selection of high res audio. I found a local Fry's had the best selection, but still inadequate.

Check out: AcousticSounds.com for a wider selection of SACD/DVD-A

I've yet to find a good SACD that delivers excellent multichannel. I purchased Norah Jones and that was an absolute waste since the multichannel conversion was beyond poor.

----------------

Online stores will in fact offer a much broader selection than most any B&M store with a few possible exceptions.

Best Buy only has a sparce collection in my area, but CC has done away with the format.

As far as not finding any good multichannel disk's in SACD, then I would suggest listing music preferances because there are a ton available with very good Multichannel mixes. Norah Jones disk isnt a good example of Multichannel for sure.

There are many good sites, but one that has a good selection of CDs and SACDs (and more if you cannot find it in a website search and simply call and ask them - as their website search and navigtation isn't the best!) and also GUARANTEES the lowest TOTAL cost with a competitor is:

http://www.deepdiscountcd.com

It's sister site:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com

offers the lowest total cost for DVDs.

----------------

On 5/4/2005 1:23:58 PM foxman wrote:

Online stores will in fact offer a much broader selection than most any B&M store with a few possible exceptions.

Best Buy only has a sparce collection in my area, but CC has done away with the format.

As far as not finding any good multichannel disk's in SACD, then I would suggest listing music preferances because there are a ton available with very good Multichannel mixes. Norah Jones disk isnt a good example of Multichannel for sure.

----------------

I listen to just about anything. I'm just looking for a good example of SACD that will make me appreciate the format in multichannel.

On a side note, I think the sun is setting for SACD (perhaps even DSD). Sony has already abandoned new releases and you've already mentioned a retailer giving up on the format as well (in addition to DVD-A, but I think the latter still has a bit of hope).

----------------

On 5/4/2005 2:57:43 PM mattbugz wrote:

----------------

On 5/4/2005 1:23:58 PM foxman wrote:

----------------

I listen to just about anything. I'm just looking for a good example of SACD that will make me appreciate the format in multichannel.

On a side note, I think the sun is setting for SACD (perhaps even DSD). Sony has already abandoned new releases and you've already mentioned a retailer giving up on the format as well (in addition to DVD-A, but I think the latter still has a bit of hope).

----------------

alright Matt, I will not Hi Jack this thread further, but rather start a new thread on the subject with some suggestions

I thought the BB had given up too (The local Towers has a better selection, but at a higher prices, CDs are the same way) but last time I went in BB they had new arrivals of SACDs. I was expecting the shelves to be used for something else. Wow go figure. I have been hitting Telarc on line or DTS or music with sucess.

I agree that there is a better selection of multichannel music online. Something else that may contribute the demise of SACD and/or DVD-Audio (and I hope not) is the DualDisc. Although not always necessarily high resolution, many seem to have a 5.1 mix on the DVD side. Right now they seem to be popping up fairly frequently, at least on new releases. I recently picked up Gretch Wilson "Here For The Party" and Joe Perry "Joe Perry" on DualDisc. Both were pretty impressive. I'd still like the option to buy SACD or DVD-A and hope my selections in these formats do not become dust collectors if I need to replace a player with these capabilities and eventually cannot find one. Scary thought.