Passive woofer for Forte II

Hey All,

A friend of mine has asked for help, and as a long time lurker I knew this was the place to come. He has a pair of Forte II's in fantastic condition, except the passive woofers on the back were destroyed by a 3 yr old.

Rather than sacrifice the child in question, Does anyone know where we could obtain replacement parts, and how much we should expect to pay?

Thanks everyone!

--nw

----------------

On 5/4/2005 3:02:20 PM Olorin wrote:

Is yours an original or a II? The original Forte uses a 12" passive while the II's is 15".

----------------

Ah, yes, mine is a 12" If anybody needs it, it's yours!!!

If you can obtain some specs on that passive radiator, I might be able to come up with a suitable port that would give you the equivalent effect. Passives and ports are both froms of venting an enclosure. The advantage of switching to a port would be durability (kids can't really destroy them so easy), longevitity (since you don't have to worry about foam/rubber going bad over time), and cost. I've successfully converted a KG4.2 and a pair og KG3.2s from passives to ports.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of Forte II with damaged passive radiators. I called Klipsch parts today and was told they are no longer made. Would be very interested in the info from BOOMAC about obtaining them in Wisconsin. Thanks. Remus1.gif1.gif1.gif

If you can't find a replacement passive, then I would suggest going the porting route already mentioned. If you're careful about it, you could even make it a reversable tweak that doesn't damage your cabinets.

Btw, how damaged is the passive? A little elmers glue and some brown papertowel (like in public bathrooms) might be able to bring it back to working order. All you gotta do is piece the diaphragm back together and then glue it as best you can...using the papertowel like tape to hold it together. When the glue dries, it's as rigid as the normal cone and you're back to working condition. If cosmetics are an issue, use a black sharpie to get a close color match. Heck, I've even replaced active 15" woofers doing this trick (with no audible side effects).

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/23/2005 3:21:38 PM DrWho wrote:

If you can't find a replacement passive, then I would suggest going the porting route already mentioned. If you're careful about it, you could even make it a reversable tweak that doesn't damage your cabinets.

That's exactly what I did!

post-2398-1381926472924_thumb.jpg